Like Tree147Likes

Watching my HK colleagues become expats in Taiwan

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Wow, slightly off topic but government here PAYS you for your quarantine time- around 500 US dollars. To compensate you for not being able to work, etc.

Coworkers were on that scheme, one already got a check...

They were pretty complimentary of the TW government- but when the HK government is your baseline, a lot of other governments look pretty good in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    If you want to hear complaining expats, come and listen to some Australians in the Philippines. I have never heard anything like it. Everything is wrong here (which is why they chose to live here not in perfect Australia), all Filipinos are stupid (presumably including their wives and children). Honestly 99% of what some of them say is a complaint. People they hate: Abos, Muslims, Abos, non white fake Australians, Brits, non Brits, Abos,....
    I think you must get a particular type of Australians! I know the sort. I'm glad they are not in Australia !!!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I think you must get a particular type of Australians! I know the sort. I'm glad they are not in Australia !!!
    Not all of them but they do tend to infect the rest, especially when they are having a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Once I figured out that this was about HK locals moving to Taiwan, this moved from mildly confusing to really funny
    Agreed - too funny!

As an expat I reserve my right to complain about all this...!

I mean - lived in HK for >20 years and the locals still didn’t learn my language properly ffs...!

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    If you want to hear complaining expats, come and listen to some Australians in the Philippines. I have never heard anything like it. Everything is wrong here (which is why they chose to live here not in perfect Australia), all Filipinos are stupid (presumably including their wives and children). Honestly 99% of what some of them say is a complaint. People they hate: Abos, Muslims, Abos, non white fake Australians, Brits, non Brits, Abos,....
    In bar land I can’t work out what is worse. A loud American who can’t handle beer or a loud Australian who hasn’t had any yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    In bar land I can’t work out what is worse. A loud American who can’t handle beer or a loud Australian who hasn’t had any yet.
    The latter would no doubt say a whinging pom... Yanks and aussies aren't the only one with a reputation.
    Coolboy and ByeByeEngland like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Indeed, but I wonder how long 'the effect' lasts? The majority of HK's population immigrated here in the last 60 years.

And the US is itself a nation of immigrants with a 'pioneer spirit'......supposedly.
    In some respect, certain parts of the US are even more insular and discriminatory than Hong Kong.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6