Like Tree6Likes

Moving to US - Shipping Questions

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by rkenia852:
    Try others?

I have moved internationally and shipped 3x and learnt this.

The actual cost of an empty container moving from HK to US is well under US $1000 on a cargo ship.

All the overheads we are charged by the movers isn’t reflective of the actual cost of moving the container port to port.
    Care to share who you used and when you moved?

Most recently, 2017. I’ll have to dig up old records.

I specifically asked for a container though right from the start. So they brought a container and packed everything into the container. Likewise upon arrival in Hong Kong, the container was brought to my apartment and unloaded.

Hope that helps.

Try others?

I have moved internationally and shipped 3x and learnt this.

The actual cost of an empty container moving from HK to US is well under US $1000 on a cargo ship.

All the overheads we are charged by the movers isn’t reflective of the actual cost of moving the container port to port.
    True. Freight rates are low for the sea leg. The trucking from apartment to terminal and terminal to home in the US costs a lot more (Door to Door)
    rkenia852 likes this.

does anyone know if the quoted estimates are based on number of boxes or weight? on a related note, these prices still seem kind of high if I am shipping just clothes and other semi-junk items. wouldn;t it be cheaper to send boxes using HK post office?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc8mmc8:
    does anyone know if the quoted estimates are based on number of boxes or weight? on a related note, these prices still seem kind of high if I am shipping just clothes and other semi-junk items. wouldn;t it be cheaper to send boxes using HK post office?
    I'm sure it's by weight since that affects the shipping cost directly. You can always contact a shipper and get an estimate if you want a hard number to go off of. If any needs a recommendation, I've worked with three men and a truck a couple times over the years and they're a great option for shipping betwees the U.S. and Hong Kong.

LOL, not in 2021. Try more like $6,000, prices are getting craaaazy.
    rkenia852 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MailMatters:
    LOL, not in 2021. Try more like $6,000, prices are getting craaaazy.
    Indeed. The supply chain world has changed a lot in the last year since my post.