Like Tree6Likes

Moving to US - Shipping Questions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to US - Shipping Questions

Hi,

We will be moving from HK to US (West coast). I searched the archives and only found relevant posts from many years ago. Any recommendation for shipping company?

We don't mind receiving our boxes months after we ship. Will be shipping only about 20-30 boxes of stuff, no furniture. Anything that should be noted? Will be shipping normal household stuff - clothes, DVDs, books, toiletries, art supplies, toys, small electronics, tools. Any problems due to small built-in rechargeable batteries of electronics, etc?

Thanks!

Insist on lots and lots of silica gel packs to absorb moisture. Moving company will give you a list of things they won't ship (i.e batterie of a certain size, liquids, food, etc)

Drop the guys at Unigroup a line.

https://www.unigroup.asia/get-a-quote/

Not sure on US specifically, but we have just been through the process of selecting a shipper to France and have gone with Allied.

They are packing on Saturday, will post more after they have finished.

I am not sure on which packer to use, but they will try to offer you their insurance to cover whilst shipping or in storage. They normally charge about 2.9%+ of the insured value, or based on the cubic space, which may work out more expensive. Let me know if you want it cheaper.

Just for your reference, I am also in the pre-planning stages for a move back to the West Coast and of the 3 shippers- UniGroup was more expensive (just slightly). Based on 12 cubic meters of stuff (about 40 boxes- no furniture): Allied quoted 53,500 (51,500 + 2,000 for docs), UniGroup quoted 54,350 (52,400 + 1,950 for docs). and Asian Tigers quoted 53,000 (51,000 + 2,000 doc fee). I'm assuming that insurance was not included in any of these rates, but only Asian Tigers specified rate of 3.5%. Of course, they will need to come out and survey to finalize price but thought this info could help in your initial planning.

Ask for the whole container even if you don’t need it.

As such, a container is cheaper.
    Moreover, a full container will clear Customs quicker than a pallet or two.

Quote Originally Posted by rkenia852:
    Ask for the whole container even if you don’t need it.

As such, a container is cheaper.
    Moreover, a full container will clear Customs quicker than a pallet or two.
    I did get a quote for a 20' container from UniGroup - it was not cheaper. 69,800 (67,850 + 1,950 doc fees). I'm not in a hurry to get goods at destination.
    shri likes this.

Try others?

I have moved internationally and shipped 3x and learnt this.

The actual cost of an empty container moving from HK to US is well under US $1000 on a cargo ship.

All the overheads we are charged by the movers isn’t reflective of the actual cost of moving the container port to port.

bak875 and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc8mmc8:
    Hi,

We will be moving from HK to US (West coast). I searched the archives and only found relevant posts from many years ago. Any recommendation for shipping company?

We don't mind receiving our boxes months after we ship. Will be shipping only about 20-30 boxes of stuff, no furniture. Anything that should be noted? Will be shipping normal household stuff - clothes, DVDs, books, toiletries, art supplies, toys, small electronics, tools. Any problems due to small built-in rechargeable batteries of electronics, etc?

Thanks!
    United States - Customs.pdf

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast