Like Tree207Likes

Should we stay or go?

Reply
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
  1. #101

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    5,869
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Can you though? In Europe you can actually travel around at the moment and if you fancy you can learn Chinese calligraphy in Switzerland.
    No, we can't, and it's very frustrating and something we take into consideration for the near future/next year.

    Can I? If you have recommendations do let me know.

  2. #102

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The world is not divided into a simple binary choice between absolute masterpiece and garbage quality. My point was that museums in HK are not shit. They are not great, but they are not shit. So sorry, it seems you are typing nothing but highly subjective nonsense. There are no decent museums in HK?! You are talking simply out of your ass here. I seriously doubt you have actually been to any museums in HK.
    Correct it's not.

    This thread IS divided into a binary choice, there or here. Do you understand that?

    And HK's museums compared to Zurich's are mostly shit in my opinion and not in your opinion. Both views are subjective, do you understand that?

    As for B&W, if you're so nuanced why have you repeatedly attempted to make my opinion black? Mostly & "There are no decent museums in HK?".

    I know the answer, do you?

  3. #103

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    6,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    Correct it's not.

    This thread IS divided into a binary choice, there or here. Do you understand that?

    And HK's museums compared to Zurich's are mostly shit in my opinion and not in your opinion. Both views are subjective, do you understand that?

    As for B&W, if you're so nuanced why have you repeatedly attempted to make my opinion black? Mostly & "There are no decent museums in HK?".

    I know the answer, do you?
    No it is not a binary choice. The thread did not limit itself only to Zurich as the sole alternative to Hong Kong. As for supposedly making your opinion "black", I'm not the one doing so, you are. I am simply stating what I see in front of me. As for no decent museums in HK, you are entitled to your opinion, but I would also be entitled to say that is not based on any sort of facts or reasonable criteria.

  4. #104

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    No it is not a binary choice. The thread did not limit itself only to Zurich as the sole alternative to Hong Kong. As for supposedly making your opinion "black", I'm not the one doing so, you are. I am simply stating what I see in front of me. As for no decent museums in HK, you are entitled to your opinion, but I would also be entitled to say that is not based on any sort of facts or reasonable criteria.
    I never said "there are no decent museums in HK" - you said that, and attribute that falsely to me, hence I'm justified in blowing your 'you're so B&W and i'm much more capable of nuance' argument out of the water. I said museums in HK are mostly shit and you have repeatedly misrepresented that.

    I've even BOLDED the "MOSTLY", and you s.t.i.l.l. get it wrong.

  5. #105

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    6,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    I never said "there are no decent museums in HK" - you said that, and attribute that falsely to me, hence I'm justified in blowing your 'you're so B&W and i'm much more capable of nuance' argument out of the water. I said museums in HK are mostly shit and you have repeatedly misrepresented that.

    I've even BOLDED the "MOSTLY", and you s.t.i.l.l. get it wrong.
    Nope, you are spinning and beating around the bush. You said HK museums were mostly shit. You did not quantify what number of museums you are talking about. You did not actually said any museums were even half-decent. So there are no decent museums in HK according to you. Instead of hurling accusations against me, admit you messed up and move on. There is no shame in that.

    P.S-Just curious, did you have some really bad experience at a HK museum? Your obsession with this topic is getting a little...weird otherwise.

  6. #106

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ex Sai Kunger
    Posts
    7,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    I never said "there are no decent museums in HK" - you said that, and attribute that falsely to me, hence I'm justified in blowing your 'you're so B&W and i'm much more capable of nuance' argument out of the water. I said museums in HK are mostly shit and you have repeatedly misrepresented that.

    I've even BOLDED the "MOSTLY", and you s.t.i.l.l. get it wrong.
    I'm really not sure what coolboy is arguing about to be honest, because I also never found the museums in HK to be all that satisfying, compared to the many we have visited in Europe and look forward to taking my kids to the USA to visit the many, aviation, rocket and car museums there when they're a bit older.

    Someone mentioned Basel, which is where there is a road border with France, 30 minutes from Mulhouse in Alsace Loraine, where they have one of the best train museums and Bugatti Car collections ( museum) in the world. HK has NOTHING like this unless the Tai Po Train museum is your idea of a satisfying example? Then there is the Horse Museum in Chantilly, which is one of many museums we have visited which are located close to my family's homes in Moussey Le Neuf, same with the one below.

    Moving along, we also thoroughly enjoyed the aviation/aerospace museum located at the original Paris airport, in Le Bourget, which has A LOT of aviation historical significance, with both a prototype ( larger) and a commercial production example of the Concorde hangared there. Then there is, The Louvre in Paris and I'll also include London's Natural History Museum a short walk from our regular Marriott Hotel in Kensington and Harrods. All thoroughly enjoyable Museum experiences that again, HK just does not provide an equivalent experience. They're a bit dinky, don't you agree ?

    So, I have to agree with Sage, I know exactly what he meant by his opinion. I LOVE museums by the way, even if my opinion of them is heavily interest specific. Anyway I have provided some links below just for example's sake.

    https://domainedechantilly.com/en/ac.../museum-horse/

    https://www.nhm.ac.uk/

    https://www.louvre.fr/en

    https://www.museeairespace.fr/en/

    https://musees-mulhouse.fr/en/museum...mobile-museum/

    https://en.citedutrain.com/

    Now if you haven't visited the above locations, I highly recommend them all when airline travel reverts back to pre covid conditions, if you actually appreciate this sort of stuff. :-)
    emx and Sage like this.

  7. #107

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    487

    @Coolboy, My point about the museums in HK is not that they are absolutely rubbish, but that the general situation is very disappointing for a city (or rather a Chinese province) with 8 million people.

    You can compare it to other provinces (or cities) in the world with 8 million people, to see how the HK situation actually is. I compared it to Paris, London and New York. Then you say "oh, but these are quite out of the ordinary". Fine, let's compare them to Switzerland, a place with a similar population (8.5 million people v. 7.5 million). There are many outstanding museums in Switzerland compared to which those in HK are a complete joke. E.g. the Swiss museum of transport in Luzern. Compare that the the HK railway museum. Haha!

    Hell, even the Museo cantonale di storia naturale in Lugano, a city with 60,000 people, is better than any museum in HK.

    So what else is HK good for? Asia's fiancial centre? Haha. HK banks are rubbish. You can't even buy stocks in other countries, except China and USA (for some banks).

    So, what is HK very good at, to compensate for the staff it's very bad at (culture, climate, pollution, crowdedness, rubbish banks, etc.)?

    Sage likes this.

  8. #108

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I'm really not sure what coolboy is arguing about to be honest, because I also never found the museums in HK to be all that satisfying, compared to the many we have visited in Europe and look forward to taking my kids to the USA to visit the many, aviation, rocket and car museums there when they're a bit older.)
    Agreed, I think he objects to the term 'shit' ;-) without really getting that it means relative to the alternatives in Switzerland (and throughout most of Europe)

  9. #109

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    6,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I'm really not sure what coolboy is arguing about to be honest, because I also never found the museums in HK to be all that satisfying, compared to the many we have visited in Europe and look forward to taking my kids to the USA to visit the many, aviation, rocket and car museums there when they're a bit older.

    )
    My meaning is clear, you just refuse to comprehend it. You are just engaging in your usual "Hong Kong is so horrible" schtick, honestly, its starting to get a little tiring. HK museums are not great but they are not a joke, you simply are unable to accept that just because something ain't the best, it isn't a "joke". I can also say Luzern is a joke because it does not have as much collection of Chinese painting in its museums compare to HK, but that's an unfair comparison. So comparing the same things matter.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 12-10-2020 at 09:19 PM.

  10. #110

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    6,417
    Quote Originally Posted by john_1122:
    @Coolboy, My point about the museums in HK is not that they are absolutely rubbish, but that the general situation is very disappointing for a city (or rather a Chinese province) with 8 million people.

    You can compare it to other provinces (or cities) in the world with 8 million people, to see how the HK situation actually is. I compared it to Paris, London and New York. Then you say "oh, but these are quite out of the ordinary". Fine, let's compare them to Switzerland, a place with a similar population (8.5 million people v. 7.5 million). There are many outstanding museums in Switzerland compared to which those in HK are a complete joke. E.g. the Swiss museum of transport in Luzern. Compare that the the HK railway museum. Haha!

    Hell, even the Museo cantonale di storia naturale in Lugano, a city with 60,000 people, is better than any museum in HK.

    So what else is HK good for? Asia's fiancial centre? Haha. HK banks are rubbish. You can't even buy stocks in other countries, except China and USA (for some banks).

    So, what is HK very good at, to compensate for the staff it's very bad at (culture, climate, pollution, crowdedness, rubbish banks, etc.)?
    Who decides whether a museum is "so disappointing"? By what criteria? Seems to me you simply have a biased against HK. At least be honest about your intentions.

Reply
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast