Like Tree207Likes

Should we stay or go?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Ok, we'll try.

One issue is I'm just too damn curious. Staying here does not tickle my curiosity. Going does.
    Yes... because at heart you're a traveller... you came to HK for the adventure, not the $$s... the $$s trap you... In my last couple of years I really realised that I was wearing golden handcuffs... low tax, large income... it traps you. The political trouble and the virus set me free... that's really how I feel... I'm so bloody happy to be out of that... no regrets mind... it set me up such that now I only have to work a few hours a day... I imagine I'm technically semi-retired at 48... couldn't have got that in the UK...
    Paxbritannia and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Yes... because at heart you're a traveller... you came to HK for the adventure, not the $$s... the $$s trap you... In my last couple of years I really realised that I was wearing golden handcuffs... low tax, large income... it traps you. The political trouble and the virus set me free... that's really how I feel... I'm so bloody happy to be out of that... no regrets mind... it set me up such that now I only have to work a few hours a day... I imagine I'm technically semi-retired at 48... couldn't have got that in the UK...
    Well ironically it's not that situation with us. Staying, with my husband leaving his corporate job to pursue his own interests, would be letting go of the golden handcuffs. With just my one income we can live comfortably here. Continuing with his job relocation in Europe would mean he keeps the handcuffs on when at this stage of his life, he doesn't really need to. I think this is why he is struggling to accept this.

Should add... the country we're going to has high taxes along with high costs of living, so hence we wouldn't want to "retire early" there.
    Last edited by Elegiaque; 03-10-2020 at 08:38 PM.
    Mr Chips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    I can't know it will be the same for you... I have taken a significant pay-cut but it's almost hard for me to describe how much mine and in particular my children's quality of life has improved...

Take our apartment... it's not as simple as price, space and facilities... there's no overcrowding, there's no noise...

Take the streets with their cycle paths and the no passing within 1.5 metre law...

Take the 1 Euro coffees... again, no queuing, no noise... proper service...

Take the parks that are miles of cut grass, skate parks and other high quality sporting facilities that don't have fences around them and some white shirted jobs-worth bothering you with rules.

Take the history, the castles, the architecture...

There's a tonne of kind of intangible things that I can't really put a price on... the air, the dry heat...

I hate to say this... but I can speak more Spanish after 3 months than I could Canto. after 10 years, and I could speak quite a bit of Canto.

We've moved to Portugal now... man, last Sunday we had roast dinner under a Moorish Castle... 11 Euro and it was lovely... great service, nice cool breeze, wife had a lovely glass of port, kids played and a live band jammed nearby...

You can't put a $$$ value on it. Hong Kong will only get worse.

Yes, confirmation bias, etc, etc...
    And your situation may not apply to the OP. Each moving decision is unique.
    rkenia852 likes this.

Your husband pursuing his interests is an excellent opportunity. It's not a chance you get every day. Also, if you enjoy your career then keep it.

Being transferred into a corporate job in Europe is no biggie. The job shortages there will only get worse as more people retire and similar future opportunities will crop up in case your husband following his interest doesn't work out.

If you do leave, probably not a bad idea to buy a flat here with the PR stamp duty discount and have a HK mortgage approved before leaving. A few other posters seem to have done that in the past and profited handsomely from such an approach.

Best of luck with your deliberations!

If you go there will be trouble
    if you stay there will be double

GentleGeorge and jdf21st like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    - We still want to travel more in Asia, especially China (if it's safe?). I still want to learn more Chinese. We feel life here is maybe in some way more interesting. We don't want our adventure to end!

- We're tired of the hot, long summers here. We feel quite bored here. We've hiked every trail, kayaked, and now gone to every single tourist spot we can imagine. Personally, and even maybe professionally, there may be new options to explore there.
    I emphasise with both these aspects. I became bored with HK within 2 years. Partly due to the fact I was working part time and had plently of time to explore I covered HK pretty thoroughly. I also found it difficult to do energetic outdoor stuff from May -October.

Lack of Western culture (in terms of music/theatre/comedy) also started to grate a little. (I know, possibly a silly comment when living in a Asian country but still a fact)

The SE Asia travelling opportunities were great but spoilt from Feb 2020 on. We did a lot but would still like to do more. I envisage a couple of long term trips to this side of the world again in the next 10 years but strictly on a tourist basis.

I am in a different position to you having now retired completely so out of the career developing stage of my life but I could never see myself in Hong Kong for the long term. A great adventure whilst we were there but done that and enjoying UK life again now.

Will miss November -March weather though!

Think this will come down to your desire to in the long term

1. live in a city that will now more increasingly and rapidly become more "mainlandised" .... Ie do you and family speak mandarin and of Chinese descent?

2. Work for companies that are China Market focused or China originated as HK role as a regional and global hub evaporates

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    And your situation may not apply to the OP. Each moving decision is unique.
    I feel like you're butthurt about being stuck in HK. As you say, each moving decision is unique... I'm more than happy for you to stay in Hong Kong, it's all yours pal.

I'm pretty sure the OP was looking for diverse views to help her make her choice... of course there are very good arguments for staying too. I accept that, perhaps you can have the good grace to accept that there are very good reasons to leave too...
    TheBrit and Skyhook like this.

If you go there may be trouble
    And if you stay it may be double

This indecision's bugging me
    jdf21st likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast