Like Tree207Likes

Should we stay or go?

Reply
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23,326

    Whoever said, go with your gut was right. If you make a list of 20 or 30 factors you will end up being paralysed with indecision.

    Cover off the big things - for most of us this will be jobs, family, homes and schools. The rest is just noise in the long run.


  2. #32

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    I feel like you're butthurt about being stuck in HK. As you say, each moving decision is unique... I'm more than happy for you to stay in Hong Kong, it's all yours pal.

    I'm pretty sure the OP was looking for diverse views to help her make her choice... of course there are very good arguments for staying too. I accept that, perhaps you can have the good grace to accept that there are very good reasons to leave too...
    I think you are imagining things as usual. I am quite happy in HK, yes even with all the things that has gone in this city in the last two years. And I never said there weren't good reasons to leave. I'm saying your situation may not necessarily be applicable to the OP.

  3. #33

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    316

    I would say don't settle down into something just because it's comfortable and pays well. I moved my way up quickly in a top investment bank and was earning pretty good but wasn't learning or being challenged. Gave it up earlier this year for a new career in psychology and graduated with a first class honours. Just started a masters, moving to the UK next year. It's a risk but I think back to the stressful job and opportunities I now have, learning every day and don't regret it. I could have been earning and not had to worry about that but I would be bored shitless!

    Eva C and Mrs. Jones like this.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,356
    Quote Originally Posted by mused:
    I would say don't settle down into something just because it's comfortable and pays well. I moved my way up quickly in a top investment bank and was earning pretty good but wasn't learning or being challenged. Gave it up earlier this year for a new career in psychology and graduated with a first class honours. Just started a masters, moving to the UK next year. It's a risk but I think back to the stressful job and opportunities I now have, learning every day and don't regret it. I could have been earning and not had to worry about that but I would be bored shitless!
    Yes can mirror that. 8 promotions in 8 years, from the very lowest, literally picking up cigarette butts, to senior management. Gave them two year's notice and in return they gave me a cushy job (business analyst). Then a first degree, masters, total change in career.

    If I had stayed put I would have been probably a lot wealthier but missed out on many amazing life experiences. I bet there are many similar stories on here.

    Brit's advice is the best I think.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7,476
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Yes can mirror that. 8 promotions in 8 years, from the very lowest, literally picking up cigarette butts, to senior management. Gave them two year's notice and in return they gave me a cushy job (business analyst). Then a first degree, masters, total change in career.

    If I had stayed put I would have been probably a lot wealthier but missed out on many amazing life experiences. I bet there are many similar stories on here.

    Brit's advice is the best I think.
    Depends on what stage of career and age you are in. If you are relatively young without too many concerns (i.e. family to take care of/sole breadwinner) then by all means go and experience the world. If you are older with kids then it won't be so easy.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Depends on what stage of career and age you are in. If you are relatively young without too many concerns (i.e. family to take care of/sole breadwinner) then by all means go and experience the world. If you are older with kids then it won't be so easy.
    I was married with a kid, mortgage, etc. Both my wife and I gave up our jobs to go to uni, sold the house.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    7,476
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I was married with a kid, mortgage, etc. Both my wife and I gave up our jobs to go to uni, sold the house.
    Good for you with an understanding wife and kid. But your situation may not apply to everyone else, unfortunately.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Good for you with an understanding wife and kid. But your situation may not apply to everyone else, unfortunately.
    Ex wife, not that understanding

    No clearly not.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    164

    HK is a fine place to live, Despite What Happened in Last 2 years.

    Possible Deal breaker, if you’ve a family with small kids and You’re the only earning member.


Reply
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast