Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By freeier
  • 1 Post By riversidejr

Moving to Singapore - moving cost and bring car?

Closed Thread

Moving to Singapore - moving cost and bring car?

Hi all,

I may move to SG, sometime early next year for job. Wondering how much should I expect for moving cost.

I am living in a 3 bedroom now, moderate amount of stuff. Any recommendation of reliable moving agent?

And a Car - I have a 12yr old Cayenne bought earlier this year. Can I bring this to SG? Any one have a similar experience?

Best

Regarding the car all I know there will be quite significant duties and GST payable plus road and other taxes (if you will be allowed to drive the car at all as I understand Singapore is stritly limiting the number of cars).

Natfixit likes this.

From what little I know the piece of paper that gives you the right to own a car is the major cost

no you cannot import a 12yo car. the oldest you can import, if its not considered an antique car, is either 2 or 3yo.

"Importation of Used Vehicles
    Vehicles that do not meet the requirements for registration as brand new will be classified as
    used vehicles. To be eligible for registration in Singapore, used vehicles must not be more
    than 3 years old at the point of registration. A surcharge of $10,000 is payable for registration
    of each imported used car in Singapore.
    "

https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/conte...a-vehicle.html

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    From what little I know the piece of paper that gives you the right to own a car is the major cost
    not entirely accurate. depending on the car.
    if you are importing a ferrari that cost say 1mil HKD at purchase, your tax is likely 1.5mil HKD compared to the certificate of maybe around 200k HKD.

so all depends on the value of the car. the certificate is not based on value. for cheap cars the certificate is the main tax.
    Hkemail888 and shri like this.

For relocation:
    Take a quote from moving companies like Allied or Asian Tigers and go with the lowest. If going for smaller player then check reviews. Note that insurance is extra and final quote may be higher as initial quote is an estimate. If someone is giving a very low quote then most likely the final quote could be higher. Slightly dated but we had paid around SGD 9-10K for a container 3-4 years back. And take all electrical appliances as voltage isnt an issue.

For car:
    Agree with Freeier. I believe import duties are much higher than HK in addition to the COE (the license to drive that car - it is fixed to car and not transferable). Dont think it would make sense to ship a 12 year old car which you only bought last year. Would be cheaper to buy a used car in SG. Check this link -
    https://www.dbs.com.sg/personal/marketplace/car/buy
    Yes, DBS has a marketplace !

Good luck with the move.

Quote Originally Posted by likanz:
    And a Car - I have a 12yr old Cayenne bought earlier this year. Can I bring this to SG? Any one have a similar experience?
    Certificate Of Entitlement (COE) will cost way more than the car is worth.

https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/conte...elines/Car.pdf

All of the above is true advice. Also, having driven in Singapore and hold a valid SG licence, taking the cheap and easy public transport is way better than more cost efficient than driving there. The traffic, even when not during peak hour combined with torrential rainfall can be a nightmare. My husband leased a car because he prefers to drive than take PT. If you have pets, like a dog, many cabbies will refuse you because of their conservative religious beliefs. This was one reason why we leased a car. Yes, you must get a certificate of entitlement first before you can buy or lease a car. Leasing is becoming for popular, if you must drive, than buying outright.

With what I've heaed about Singapore weather, you'd be better off with armbands rather than a car