Like Tree235Likes

Leaving HK for the kids...

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    How long would this moment be?

It's human nature to think the "grass is greener over there", regardless of where "there" happens to be. Before we became expats, greener pastures were overseas. Then after a while being overseas, some will long to "go back where they came from", only to discover "back home" wasn't as great as they imagine it to be.

There is no perfect "place" in the end.
    That makes no sense really. I lived in the UK, then HK, then the Philippines, then the UK, now the Philippines. For me the best way to live is to consider the grass to be greener wherever you are (well except when I lived in Slough, nowhere is worse than that)
    Elegiaque and Jillypots like this.

Then why come to HK in the first place if the UK is paved with gold, why ever leave it?
    You are being a twat again.
    kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You are being a twat again.
    Why? Because I mentioned the UK? Why is that not allowed to mention on here? Instead of hurling insults, can you give a rational response instead?

For me the best way to live is to consider the grass to be greener wherever you are (well except when I lived in Slough, nowhere is worse than that)
    Oh you'll be surprised at many people think otherwise, my younger more naive self included.

Why? Because I mentioned the UK? Why is not allowed to mention on here? Instead of hurling insults, can you give a rational response instead?
    Because preferring to live somewhere does not mean you think it is paved with gold does it? Really does it? Don't you agree that was a stupid comment in hindsight? You prefer HK, do you think HK is flawless and paved with gold?
    shri, TheBrit, bdw and 3 others like this.

Because preferring to live somewhere does not mean you think it is paved with gold does it? Really does it? Don't you agree that was a stupid comment in hindsight? You prefer HK, do you think HK is flawless and paved with gold?
    Maybe the phrase "paved with gold" isn't the best term, I didn't mean that in the literal sense of course, but my point is not stupid at all, if "home" is really so much better, why ever leave it? I just get a little ticked off whenever people say "home" is so much better than where they are now, hey, nobody is stopping them from moving back.

And for the record, I think HK has MANY problems, which I have pointed out in the past repeatedly (i.e. pollution, rudeness, tiny and unaffordable housing etc), but I don't complain about that endlessly and say I wish I was elsewhere. I made my choice to be here, I will live with both its good and bad parts. Maybe some people on here need to remember that aspect of expat living.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 19-11-2020 at 11:54 AM.
    traineeinvestor likes this.

Most people - I'd say particularly those in with the education/skills/prospects to be professional expats - are likely not interested in leaving their home country for some 3rd world shithole where I don't know anyone, and they don't speak the language, and the food tastes funny, and there's no art scene, and there are typhoons every year, and revolutions every other year and they probably worship the sun or something.

One of the reasons I've always thought that (most) expats are at least fairly interesting to talk to is that we're the ones who, when the option (secondment, internal transfer for them or their partner, or just at the right time in their life, etc.) came up to move abroad, said yes. It's very different for migrant workers, domestic workers, etc. who mostly make the move because the opportunities back home are meagre in comparison...

Coolboy, shri, Eva C and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    Most people - I'd say particularly those in with the education/skills/prospects to be professional expats - are likely not interested in leaving their home country for some 3rd world shithole where I don't know anyone, and they don't speak the language, and the food tastes funny, and there's no art scene, and there are typhoons every year, and revolutions every other year and they probably worship the sun or something.
    Too true, but that raises an interesting point, is HK a third world shitshole? Objectively, I would say no, that are far worse places to move to in this world. I would even go so far as to say there are things in HK that are quite superior to any "Western" city. Of course, with the way things are heading, well...I suppose HK is heading into the shithole direction, I can't blame some for having second thoughts before moving here now, but that's another story for another day.
    Happy Guy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    After 10 years at the Australian school in HK, my kids have settled well into Australian public school since January this year. Riding bikes to school, going to friends houses after school, no such thing as ECA's (formal extra curricular activities). We got a dog, a rabbit, my kids bedrooms have walk in closets that are bigger than their old HK bedrooms. So they are happy here in Aus. For me its back to home after 20 years away, but for wife a kids its a whole new experience.
    Pretty much the same experience here. All my kid ride bikes now, the eldest two (9 & 7) are allowed outside by themselves to play in the park or pick up the odd item from the local shops. They've turned properly bi-lingual, and getting great chances they simply wouldn't get in HK. One of my daughters sang in the opening ceremony of the Rugby World Cup last year, and I went to the a few of the games including the final (shame about the result!).

The nine year old recently started coming home by herself, even though it's two buses or two trains, and she loves the independence and time to chat to her friends after school. Big difference to the nanny-led expensive school buses in Hong Kong.

Weekends are tennis, football and swimming, apart from this weekend where we are off to see the red leaves and temples in Kyoto. Early next month we're driving up to do some star gazing on a mountain in Ibaraki. Christmas we'll have a short break in a Hakone onsen and then head to the Enoshima coast to see the first Sun rise of the New Year.

AsianXpat0, bdw, Skyhook and 6 others like this.

Plan was to go on holiday to UK during summer holidays for 2 weeks in 2020, look at houses, schools, set up bank accounts etc for the big move in 2021 so that we could start our new adventures in UK and our daughter would have better education, more greenery, more out door stuff to do.

COVID FUCKED THAT ALL UP!!!

THANKS WUHAN !!!!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast