Like Tree235Likes

Leaving HK for the kids...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Gravitas:
    We're planning to move out at the transition from Primary to Secondary school, seems from what my kids is saying a lot of her classmates families are planning the same (local primary school)
    That’s exactly what we did.
    Skyhook likes this.

Some families going to the U.K. have found it difficult to register their kids with the LEA’s. Some have been unable to provide a permanent home address.

I know of several cases, whereby families have had to pay high rents, with short term rentals due to their current BNO status.

They can rent long term once the new BNO visas start in Jan 2021

If you’re looking to buy, visit the area a few times and see if it’s a nice area.

Let’s hope you don’t move in next to this pensioner...

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/17/racis...ears-13610208/

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I chose the UK over HK and would do so again without any hesitation. Though perhaps not right at this moment
    I know i'll get shot down for this but life really isn't that bad (for me). On the ground it's very different to what you read/see. UK media loves to do itself down. (Quite a refreshing change from HK/China)

Yes, yes, yes - figures are horrendous I know.

But...if you have the ability to choose your life style, pick when and where you go then life's pretty good. I'm very much enjoying being back. Glad I'm not still stuck in HK. Missing the winter Hong Kong weather though!! Planning a getaway to Barbados for a bit of sun soon though.

But no, other than if you are very wealthy, I wouldn't choose to return a family with children quite at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    Some families going to the U.K. have found it difficult to register their kids with the LEA’s. Some have been unable to provide a permanent home address.

I know of several cases, whereby families have had to pay high rents, with short term rentals due to their current BNO status.

They can rent long term once the new BNO visas start in Jan 2021
    Isn't this true for most countries but is the degree and direction of the issue that is key. Some countries are going backwards while others strive to improve.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/02/u...ronavirus.html

There clearly isn't a single big trigger that will cause and exodus but the gradual increase in expats leaving, decrease in expats arriving a more importantly middle class and upper middle class Mainlanders by-passing HK altogether when leaving China will continue the dimming of Hong Kong but at a more advanced pace.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    I know i'll get shot down for this but life really isn't that bad (for me). On the ground it's very different to what you read/see. UK media loves to do itself down. (Quite a refreshing change from HK/China)

Yes, yes, yes - figures are horrendous I know.

But...if you have the ability to choose your life style, pick when and where you go then life's pretty good. I'm very much enjoying being back. Glad I'm not still stuck in HK. Missing the winter Hong Kong weather though!! Planning a getaway to Barbados for a bit of sun soon though.

But no, other than if you are very wealthy, I wouldn't choose to return a family with children quite at the moment.
    Yes it was a much more open, spacious, relaxed lifestyle, with friendly welcoming people especially for my wife and kids. Shame about the winters though!

Fascinating thread. My kids are grown up and lived their entire lives in the UK. My concern with anyone bringing kids up in HK or Singapore isn’t the standard or education and what they learn about the world or is suppressed. I’m trying to be subjective about what I’d do if my kids were still in the early stages of education. I’m not a fan of the US system. UK on the whole is fine but the pressure to go to Uni and still end up in McDonald’s makes no sense to me. I can’t answer that and don’t envy others facing that choice.

I would worry that once they go out into the big wide world are they ready for it. We forget, protests aside, how exceptionally safe both places are.

Does anyone have any direct experience of this and any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I chose the UK over HK and would do so again without any hesitation. Though perhaps not right at this moment
    @hullexile, are you in HK now though? Or have you been here and left a while ago? I hear a lot of people saying country X over HK but most of them who stay in HK do that cause HK give them opportunities they wouldn't be able to get elsewhere (for example financial compensation, convenience etc.).

Don't get me wrong. I also see the cons of HK, however, the expats that have been in HK/are still in HK are here because they are reaping the benefits and this obviously outweigh the cons of HK.
    traineeinvestor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel08:
    @hullexile, are you in HK now though? Or have you been here and left a while ago? I hear a lot of people saying country X over HK but most of them who stay in HK do that cause HK give them opportunities they wouldn't be able to get elsewhere (for example financial compensation, convenience etc.).

Don't get me wrong. I also see the cons of HK, however, the expats that have been in HK/are still in HK are here because they are reaping the benefits and this obviously outweigh the cons of HK.
    No I left. Took a big financial hit to do so.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast