Like Tree235Likes

Leaving HK for the kids...

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Too true, but that raises an interesting point, is HK a third world shitshole?
    Oh, absolutely not - and neither is Singapore, Tokyo, Seoul, and probably lots of other cities where Western expats might end up. The hyperbole was meant to signify sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Plan was to go on holiday to UK during summer holidays for 2 weeks in 2020, look at houses, schools, set up bank accounts etc for the big move in 2021 so that we could start our new adventures in UK and our daughter would have better education, more greenery, more out door stuff to do.

COVID FUCKED THAT ALL UP!!!

THANKS WUHAN !!!!
    We had a very similar plan, which is now also on hold. Found a good area, and excellent school (with spaces!!!) but can't even ask my relatives to venture out house hunting in this environment. Hopefully it will be more do-able in summer 2021. One year delay isn't the end of the world...
    chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Plan was to go on holiday to UK during summer holidays for 2 weeks in 2020, look at houses, schools, set up bank accounts etc for the big move in 2021 so that we could start our new adventures in UK and our daughter would have better education, more greenery, more out door stuff to do.

COVID FUCKED THAT ALL UP!!!

THANKS WUHAN !!!!
    Had the same plan, hopefully it will be doable this coming summer
    chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mysti:
    I don't know any families that are going to move back to their home countries anytime soon. Seems HK is still the better option right now compared to the states..
    I know some, but I know more looking for a different expat posting.

Working mothers with kids under 10 aren’t better off in North America or Europe unless they have grandparents for free childcare. Especially now with Covid - my friends with kids are dying with school closures and work to juggle.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Gravitas:
    We're planning to move out at the transition from Primary to Secondary school, seems from what my kids is saying a lot of her classmates families are planning the same (local primary school)
    That’s exactly what we did.
    Skyhook likes this.

Some families going to the U.K. have found it difficult to register their kids with the LEA’s. Some have been unable to provide a permanent home address.

I know of several cases, whereby families have had to pay high rents, with short term rentals due to their current BNO status.

They can rent long term once the new BNO visas start in Jan 2021

If you’re looking to buy, visit the area a few times and see if it’s a nice area.

Let’s hope you don’t move in next to this pensioner...

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/17/racis...ears-13610208/

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I chose the UK over HK and would do so again without any hesitation. Though perhaps not right at this moment
    I know i'll get shot down for this but life really isn't that bad (for me). On the ground it's very different to what you read/see. UK media loves to do itself down. (Quite a refreshing change from HK/China)

Yes, yes, yes - figures are horrendous I know.

But...if you have the ability to choose your life style, pick when and where you go then life's pretty good. I'm very much enjoying being back. Glad I'm not still stuck in HK. Missing the winter Hong Kong weather though!! Planning a getaway to Barbados for a bit of sun soon though.

But no, other than if you are very wealthy, I wouldn't choose to return a family with children quite at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    Some families going to the U.K. have found it difficult to register their kids with the LEA’s. Some have been unable to provide a permanent home address.

I know of several cases, whereby families have had to pay high rents, with short term rentals due to their current BNO status.

They can rent long term once the new BNO visas start in Jan 2021
    Isn't this true for most countries but is the degree and direction of the issue that is key. Some countries are going backwards while others strive to improve.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/02/u...ronavirus.html

There clearly isn't a single big trigger that will cause and exodus but the gradual increase in expats leaving, decrease in expats arriving a more importantly middle class and upper middle class Mainlanders by-passing HK altogether when leaving China will continue the dimming of Hong Kong but at a more advanced pace.

shri likes this.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast