Like Tree235Likes

Leaving HK for the kids...

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Me too. HK makes for convenient living. Regrets in the UK are certain. It comes down to NO MAIDS and the need for the car everywhere or use of public transit which can’t compare to hk.

You have to realise many of those in the position to emigrate with their family have both grown up with a maid and had a maid as a parent themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I know a few families that moved back to UK this summer and they’re all saying it’s not as great as they’d imagined. The kids aren’t settling into school as easily as they thought and day to day life is more challenging than in HK. And this is with kids of different ages.

Quote Originally Posted by abehan:
    Any advice on moving from HK to Canada. Nearly 20 years in HK, as a teacher, from India. I am 48,with two kids. All good documents (IELTS 8.5, Liberal Arts Degree equivalent to Canadian 4 year degree, 2 post graduate degrees of 1 year each. Spouse's brother and family in Canada. Age is an issue but financially self sufficient.
    Going back to india after 20 years is a nightmare!!! Tried to resettle back to india 3 years ago but failed, kids couldn't cope with the weather.
    Holds an Indian passport
    Any possibility ?
    I know there is a very big shortage of teachers in Quebec, they were even hiring people with degrees if they committed to completing their education degree while working. Not the place with the greatest weather and not the kind of indian community you find in Toronto or Vancouver, they're also a bit more xenophobic there especially towards muslim but maybe worth looking into if you are keen. There's also the French thing. I'm not sure the family would cope any better with 6 months of winter and -30C temperature.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ebec-1.5694681

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...inds-1.4577746

Quote Originally Posted by hike:
    Me too. HK makes for convenient living. Regrets in the UK are certain. It comes down to NO MAIDS and the need for the car everywhere or use of public transit which can’t compare to hk.

You have to realise many of those in the position to emigrate with their family have both grown up with a maid and had a maid as a parent themselves.
    It doesn't reflect well on HKers if they can't move abroad because they need their bums wiped for them. Quite pathetic and sad in fact.
    shri, TheBrit, Skyhook and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    It doesn't reflect well on HKers if they can't move abroad because they need their bums wiped for them. Quite pathetic and sad in fact.
    Oh rubbish. Life is hard for a two working parent household without help no matter where you live. All of my friends with similar professional careers back in UK and US either have a nanny or an army of grandparents helping them with their kids.
    GentleGeorge, TaD_LaLa and hike like this.

Oh rubbish. Life is hard for a two working parent household without help no matter where you live. All of my friends with similar professional careers back in UK and US either have a nanny or an army of grandparents helping them with their kids.
    We were a two parent working household in the UK and survived without a nanny or an army of grandparents.

We were a two parent working household in the UK and survived without a nanny or an army of grandparents.
    I said similar professions to mine. No clue what you do/did for a living but among my peer group yes, this is the case. A few have had grandma move into the house actually to help full time.
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

I said similar professions to mine. No clue what you do/did for a living but among my peer group yes, this is the case. A few have had grandma move into the house actually to help full time.
    Is your profession being a millionaire? :P I never met anyone who has had a nanny back home. Everybody grew up in a two working parent household without their grandparents around. My mom would pick us up from day school after she finished work and once we were old enough we would ride our bikes back home and eat microwave lunches.
    hongkong7 and HK_Katherine like this.

kudos to you guys... if only my parents were this thoughtful back then

TaD_LaLa and hongkong7 like this.

Families do all over the world. Having maids is the exception, not the norm.
    Gatts likes this.

Your peer group is not normal then. I would imagine in the UK around 0.00001% families have a nanny. Yes it is hard work and takes some sacrifice but to have that as a reason for not moving to another country is very sad. Best not have kids.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast