Like Tree20Likes

Luna the cat

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luna the cat

I saw a classified advert today about a cat on geoexpat. Owner states:

"Due to returning home, I am looking for a loving cat experienced home for Luna. She's 1.5​yrs, British Shorthair fully va".

Is this a common thing to do? I can't imagine leaving my cats behind after adopting them from a shelter here in HK. They are part of the family, not a pccw contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvs:
    I saw a classified advert today about a cat on geoexpat. Owner states:

"Due to returning home, I am looking for a loving cat experienced home for Luna. She's 1.5​yrs, British Shorthair fully va".

Is this a common thing to do? I can't imagine leaving my cats behind after adopting them from a shelter here in HK. They are part of the family, not a pccw contract.
    It depends on the circumstances, which you don't know.

True I don't. But for me to do it, id of had to bet the house and lost.

And then my wife wouldn't let me get away with it!

Ad is gone so I hope Luna has found a home!

Helped family members move three kittens HK-SG and a dog US-AUS. Given the cost involved, I can see how this might be prohibitively expensive for someone who lost their job. Was one reason for me not to consider pets while not being settled.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    Helped family members move three kittens HK-SG and a dog US-AUS. Given the cost involved, I can see how this might be prohibitively expensive for someone who lost their job. Was one reason for me not to consider pets while not being settled.
    I plan to move back to Europe in 2 years or so. Can you remember the cat cost? Looking at air france I can just buy a seat for each pet which seems maybe too reasonable!

Quote Originally Posted by Galvs:
    I plan to move back to Europe in 2 years or so. Can you remember the cat cost? Looking at air france I can just buy a seat for each pet which seems maybe too reasonable!
    I think most places outside Australia, Japan, and maybe New Zealand? The cost isn't terrible, just the flight and whatever shots and certificates are needed.

For Australia it's a huge pain (6-9month process) and roughly $1700USD just for the 2 week quarantine and testing, which must be done in Melbourne.

For all the hoops required for import to HK it's a bit much considering its not even considered a rabies free zone by AUS.

When I consider the long drawn out process I have been through trying to get my 2 cats to Taiwan, I will not judge anyone who is choosing rehoming.

TaD_LaLa, aw451, spode and 1 others like this.

It might also be in the best interest of the cat's mental health. I have a friend who moved his two cats from the UK to HK and he swears they're still traumatized from the move, even after 5 years of being in Hong Kong. Both were fairly friendly before moving and now one is severely shy and reclusive while the other is much more aggressive.

MABinPengChau likes this.

Cost of getting a Pet Exporter to move a cat to the UK, one way, is usually around HK$ 20K.

That was pre-Covid prices,

Wow - 20k - guess they are flying business class.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast