Like Tree4Likes

How to let a house by end of Jan21?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to let a house by end of Jan21?

Hi there

I was wondering what's the best way to let a house by end of Jan21 since I'm moving away from HK by that date. For your guide, I am in midst of a 2 year contract with a 2 month written notice period after 1 year which is breakable on both sides in late May.

I've asked one real estate agent and have agreed to show the house. I understand I just need to pay half a month's pay for agent fees to get a new tenant with the same rent agreement I'm currently in (same monthly rent, same 2 years with 2 months written notice period after 1 year).

Other than asking one real estate agent, would it make sense to let several know? As well as put on ads on geoexpat or expat forums in general?

Just wanted to get any real life experiences where getting a tenant by that time + saving as much on agent fees would be great.

Thank you for any feedback!

Are you the owner or are you a tenant trying to get someone to take over and need the landlord to sign a new lease with them?

Are you leaving HK for good? Why not just forfeit your deposit and just go? It's a financial hit but likely a lot less hassle.

Hi Shri I'm the tenant. Landlord said ok if it's the same terms of what I've been doing. Thank you

Well I have to pay until late May so. Just trying to find a optimal way for everyone. Thank you.

I don't think you should be looking for a new tenant. It's not your property and you are not the landlord. I see 3 options for you:

1) You keep paying rent until late May. It is technically the legal requirement, but you are being rather nice to your landlord if you do this without putting up a bit of a fight.

2) You keep paying rent until January when you leave, then tell the landlord to keep your deposit, you are leaving HK, good luck finding a new tenant in the next 2 months and then the landord wont be worse off. In fact, if they find a tenant in less than 2 months they are making a profit out of it.

3) If your an arsehole like many people are, stop paying rent NOW (December). Live in it until you move out in January. Bugger off. Landord takes the last 1-2 months rent out of your deposit so then minimal loss to tenant and landlord is screwed.

I recommend go for the middle option as a reasonable compromise. The landlord could technically sue you for rent up until May, but I doubt it, especially if you are leaving HK.

Also when you signed in May, rents were down and you probably got a good deal. Now property prices are picking up again, COVID is over, 2021 about to begin and rents are about to skyrocket. So the landlord will be happy to get rid of you and charge some other sucker a much higher rent than what you got in May.

chuckster007 likes this.

Yes I think that's what he meant. Thanks for the advice.

This is great stuff thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    I don't think you should be looking for a new tenant. It's not your property and you are not the landlord. I see 3 options for you:

1) You keep paying rent until late May. It is technically the legal requirement, but you are being rather nice to your landlord if you do this without putting up a bit of a fight.

2) You keep paying rent until January when you leave, then tell the landlord to keep your deposit, you are leaving HK, good luck finding a new tenant in the next 2 months and then the landord wont be worse off. In fact, if they find a tenant in less than 2 months they are making a profit out of it.

3) If your an arsehole like many people are, stop paying rent NOW (December). Live in it until you move out in January. Bugger off. Landord takes the last 1-2 months rent out of your deposit so then minimal loss to tenant and landlord is screwed.

I recommend go for the middle option as a reasonable compromise. The landlord could technically sue you for rent up until May, but I doubt it, especially if you are leaving HK.

Also when you signed in May, rents were down and you probably got a good deal. Now property prices are picking up again, COVID is over, 2021 about to begin and rents are about to skyrocket. So the landlord will be happy to get rid of you and charge some other sucker a much higher rent than what you got in May.

Option 3 I recommend Option 3, be an arsehole and bugger off LOL

bdw likes this.

A friend lost her job 2 months after moving into a new apt. She decided it was time to go home. She listed the flat everywhere and in the end the agent found a replacement first. She paid the landlord's part of the agent's commission. He returned her deposit and all was good.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast