Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By snjt

Cost to relocate a cat from HK to New Zealand?

Closed Thread

Question Cost to relocate a cat from HK to New Zealand?

Hi all,

Has anyone moved a cat from HK to New Zealand that could share some details about the steps they went through and any rough costs they experienced.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Are you in HK and can bring the cat with you on the same flight or the cat needs a pet travel service to get him/her home?

Won't your cat have to do at least 6 months quarantine? Plus blood tests and other tests?

From online research as long as her blood work and vaccinations are in order it's just a two week quarantine in New Zealand.

She's had everything she needs to travel in terms of microchip, rabies and other shots.

Really looking to hear about agent fees, flight cost and quarantine cost as it's not information I can find online. Moving them to New Zealand must be done by a specially licensed pet relocater, so I cant even organise it myself.

Edit- ah, just read your post that DIY is not an option...ouch. Yes, that will be a lot more pricey but they will sort all the details...

Just looked at NZ website- they say pet exporter is recommended...but didn't see it say "required." Huge savings for DIY, I have done it a few times, lots of paperwork but not too hard...

meow

hike likes this.

1. The Consumer council can give you customer feedback on the various pets exporters available. (I haven't contacted CC yet, as I'm told that this information is in Chinese - but if you have friends that can read Chinese, get them to translate.)
    2. The costs vary widely between the pet exporters in HK. This depends on what needs to be done & what you want to do yourself. Ferndale is a name that comes up often - they provide the whole package (including vet services, vaccines, travel crate and so on) but their costs does not cover the NZ side of costs (such as airport fees & quarantine facilities (Auckland/Christchurch), I think).
    3. I haven't looked at costs involved if the cat is travelling on the same flight yet.

Call up the relevant offices or write emails to them get an idea of the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ben.ganley:
    From online research as long as her blood work and vaccinations are in order it's just a two week quarantine in New Zealand.

She's had everything she needs to travel in terms of microchip, rabies and other shots.

Really looking to hear about agent fees, flight cost and quarantine cost as it's not information I can find online. Moving them to New Zealand must be done by a specially licensed pet relocater, so I cant even organise it myself.
    Then I recommend that you get in contact asap with a Pet Exporter. Two of the better ones are Petexportvet ( contact Gerry Pahl) and International Pet Travel ( George). Ferndale Kennels and Cattery also move pets overseas but I found them to be very expensive and not so helpful. Flight costs, details about quarantine and the rest vary. Air NZ are the only airline which can fly pets into NZ at the moment. But contact the above mentioned exporters and see what they say. I would not rely completely upon online info. Things change.