Like Tree76Likes

Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrib:
    Can you teach Chinese (esp Mandarin)? There is a major demand for teachers across the UK, and I think you would certainly get work in Glasgow or Edinburgh
    I can speak Chinese but can't read or write well enough to teach. I haven't used the Chinese language in any formal capacity (i.e. reading a newspaper or writing a letter) for almost 40 years. The only time I use Chinese is when I speak to my family members. I use only English in ALL the jobs I've had in the past 30 years.

I have a BA degree and a TESOL cert from Trinity College London so I think I might try to get a part-time job teaching English to immigrants and refugees in Glasgow or Edinburgh. Not sure if they'll hire someone with an American accent though.

I'd also love to be a volunteer interpreter (not a translator 'cos I can't read Chinese well) for the NHS if they need someone to help them with Chinese patients who can't speak English.
    Corrib likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    I stayed in the Hillhead and St Georges Cross areas of Glasgow. The former is posher but the latter is closer to the centre.

Don't even consider the islands, seriously.
    Good to know!

The real crux of it is that Glasgow is closer to Fort William, but Edinburgh is closer to the Cairngorms.

Have you considered living in the back of beyound?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Have you considered living in the back of beyound?

If by the "back of beyound" you meant living in the boondocks, the answer is yes.

I wasn't kidding when I said (in a previous post) that I'd consider moving to the Shetland Islands one day, but in the beginning, I want to explore and experience Edinburgh and Glasgow (perhaps Stirling too). Once I've settled in, I'll start traveling around Scotland to find the "perfect" place for me to spend the rest of my life in.

I spent a weekend in Stornoway. That was 48 hours too many.

East_coast and RDB14 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    Clearly never been.

To the OP, for me - and having lived in both as an outsider, although much longer in Glasgow - Glasgow is hands down is the better place to live.

There is a reason Anthony Bourdain said it was his favourite city in Europe.

However, given your circumstances, it's a difficult call. But don't write off Glasgow's cultural scene. Yes Edinburgh has the festival (which most locals avoid) but Glasgow has a very decent arts scene and a very good live music scene. Some great places to eat as well. The city's west end has a nice vibe - the university, Kelvingrove Park and Museum, Byers Road. Easy access to Loch Lomond and the national park (less than an hours drive)

But more than anything it's the people. Warm, funny and friendly. Possibly the best in the UK. My brother in law is there right now, working away. He called me to tell me how amazed he was by the friendly locals. I do miss the Glasgow spirit a lot.
    https://peoplemakeglasgow.com "People make Glasgow" - what a great & apt branding slogan for Glasgow! So many people have mentioned it in this thread that Edinburgh might seem like a better fit, but the friendliness of Glaswegians could prove to be the deciding factor for me after all.

And hey, if Bourdain liked it, I probably will too! (R.I.P. Anthony - I miss your travel shows & adventurous spirits.)

Glasgow is less scary that you/ I think/ thought. Having said that there are definitely many areas I would not walk through at night, or walk through during the day even particularly in a football top. If you have been used to HK levels of street crime you will be shocked.

scotland likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9