Like Tree10Likes

Retaining HK Mobile Phone Number - Cheap Options?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Retaining HK Mobile Phone Number - Cheap Options?

Hi all

As the title says, if I leave Hong Kong I'd like to keep my Hong Kong number. Are there any super cheap deals to convert my current monthly plan into a SIM only plan?

So right now I pay around HKD 200 per month, but if I move back to Europe how can I keep my HK number (mainly to receive calls and use it as my number for chat apps) but not pay HKD 200 per month? If you could imagine, something like HKD 25 per month and I get to keep using the number while abroad...

Cheers

25$ per month = Computer said NO!!!!!!!!

When you say recd calls, i hope you dont mean regular mobile phone calls as that would be considered as ROAMING and your wallet will get hit very badly, Regardless you will have to turn of data when using your HK sim in EU, only connect by wifi. roaming data charges will hit you badly.

please have a look at 3HK sosim card, info below. HK$33

https://web.three.com.hk/prepaid/sosim/index-en.html

SoSim 180 day package for HK$48 (HK$8/month) if you just want to keep your HK number. I am not sure but I think can receive SMS for free whilst overseas, meaning it can work for SMS with banking applications, setup the chat with whatsapp, etc.

If you want any HK number, you could sign up for something like a Skype Number, but I don’t think you can keep your existing number that way.

Skype works if you just need a number where most people can call you. However, a Skype number can't receive SMS, and certain financial institutions who require a mobile number for verification won't accept virtual numbers. e.g. paypal.

I'm having tough problems with overseas accounts as a result!

Is anyone currently already in overseas and are using either SoSim or Birdie? I wonder if it is possible to activate these sim cards from overseas? And if they can receive incoming sms while in overseas free of charge? My partner is already in overseas and keeping his HK number, postpaid sim but no longer tied to a contract, and wants to minimise the cost while being able to keep his number.
    @bdw From reading another thread you mentioned you were using Birdie and are already in overseas. Did you switch to SoSim and were able to activate it while in overseas?

Quote Originally Posted by hkgcat:
    Is anyone currently already in overseas and are using either SoSim or Birdie? I wonder if it is possible to activate these sim cards from overseas? And if they can receive incoming sms while in overseas free of charge? My partner is already in overseas and keeping his HK number, postpaid sim but no longer tied to a contract, and wants to minimise the cost while being able to keep his number.
    @bdw From reading another thread you mentioned you were using Birdie and are already in overseas. Did you switch to SoSim and were able to activate it while in overseas?
    I am currently overseas and pay Birdie $48/month to keep a HK number that basically I am not really using for anything but just in case. But I am thinking if I switch to SoSim then can pay $8/month for the same thing ($33 for first month and then after first month can switch in the app to the 180 day plan). Activating from overseas should be OK as long as the old number can receive SMS, part of the activation process is to enter your old number, then they will SMS a OTP to the old number, then you enter the OTP and thats how they know you are the valid owner of the number. But still if I am going to do this, will need one of my mates in HK to buy the sim for me and then ship it to me overseas. I'll probably try this when I have a bit of time.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Activating from overseas should be OK as long as the old number can receive SMS, part of the activation process is to enter your old number, then they will SMS a OTP to the old number, then you enter the OTP and thats how they know you are the valid owner of the number. But still if I am going to do this, will need one of my mates in HK to buy the sim for me and then ship it to me overseas. I'll probably try this when I have a bit of time.
    Will activation from overseas still work if you want to port your existing number from Birdie to SoSim? Or are you planning to get a new number for SoSim? My partner wants to port his existing number to either Birdie or SoSim from overseas and just wants to maintain only one HK number (for incoming sms / OTP for bank stuff). Coz if he can port his number and activate the sim from overseas, I can collect his card locally and mail it out to him.

isnt the SMS charges for overseas quite expensive??

edit: for SoSim sms charges.

International SMS :
    Indonesia / Taiwan / Singapore $0.46/SMS
    Malaysia $0.39/SMS
    Other $1.8/SMS

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    isnt the SMS charges for overseas quite expensive??

edit: for SoSim sms charges.

International SMS :
    Indonesia / Taiwan / Singapore $0.46/SMS
    Malaysia $0.39/SMS
    Other $1.8/SMS
    Are these charges for incoming sms or outgoing sms while in overseas?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast