Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Skyhook
  • 1 Post By Skyhook
  • 1 Post By Trance Omega

Flying with cat to Canada with Cathay Pacific

Closed Thread

Flying with cat to Canada with Cathay Pacific

I am moving with my cat to Canada. I will be flying with Cathay Pacific and cannot decide whether to ship him as checked baggage or as cargo. In both cases I would be on the same flight. Checked baggage is significantly cheaper (the difference is tens of thousands!) and procedurally much simpler. I wonder if the cargo option offers any benefits in terms of safety/ comfort for my cats. Unfortunately Cathay is not very helpful in explaining what the practical differences are between these 2 options.

Maybe someone has an experience with shipping pets via Cathay and could offer any advice on this matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne69:
    I am moving with my cat to Canada. I will be flying with Cathay Pacific and cannot decide whether to ship him as checked baggage or as cargo. In both cases I would be on the same flight. Checked baggage is significantly cheaper (the difference is tens of thousands!) and procedurally much simpler. I wonder if the cargo option offers any benefits in terms of safety/ comfort for my cats. Unfortunately Cathay is not very helpful in explaining what the practical differences are between these 2 options.

Maybe someone has an experience with shipping pets via Cathay and could offer any advice on this matter?
    https://www.ticketterrier.com/guides...for-pet-travel
    Edwardstorm and spode like this.

Latest Airline update especially affecting those planning on traveling to the UK

British Airways ✈
    Currently not accepting new bookings until back log is cleared. They had 60 pets cancelled in July and all bookings for second half of August were cancelled by Heathrow Animal Reception Centre due to change in flight schedule. As of Sept 1st, they will double their flight price too.

Cathay Pacific ✈
    CX requires the owner to travel on same flight as their pet. This applies for all destinations. They also introduced a high minimum charge per pet kennel as of 1st August.

KLM ✈
    As of 16th October no pets will be allowed to travel as Excess Baggage due to change of aircraft that is not suitable to carry pets. From now until then bookings will only be accepted depending on size of aircraft used.

shri likes this.

Cathay accepts excess baggage to Canada but not US.
    Not sure why KLM and BA were mentioned above as they dont fly to Canada directly but you are better off with excess to YVR with CX as your pet will be in the crate a few hours shorter. If excess or cargo the pet goes in the exact same place on the aircraft which is the forward cargo hold.

emx likes this.