Like Tree14Likes

Leaving Your Job Suddenly

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Don Pacifico:
    Yes, gave my notice months ago, giving the desired 3 months.
    A question now of if I can keep going until the actual date.
    Really quite a toxic environment.
    If you give an idea of your job we might be able to better advise.

For a normal office job just wind down for the last few weeks, take long lunches, surf the net, have long breaks and don’t take on new tasks.

Watch the movie office space and relax.

You are leaving, they know you are leaving, ....

so just chill and relax. or a take a few days sick leave.
    It's a toxic work environment but tell yourself you don't care...you are leaving anyway....

Plan something nice for the end of working day to look forward to.

The only thing that could happen when you leave your job suddenly without your employers consent is that they may try to withhold the last month salary.

Tax is a non issue, make sure you have an etax account in case the demand letter comes after you left. I settled my last tax almost 6 months after I left Hong Kong (My employer had not submitted the right forms to IRD). Nobody will stop you from
    leaving Hong Kong.

Like mentioned above, take long walks, get a doctor to sign a sick notice and arrange your other affairs like your MPF withdrawal

Do you have the IR56B form from your employer? If so, your final salary (+ bonuses etc) will be withheld (legal requirement) until you get a letter of release from the tax office saying you've cleared your taxes. Only then will your employer pay your final salary.

So dont jump ship early.

Quote Originally Posted by JC83:
    Do you have the IR56B form from your employer? If so, your final salary (+ bonuses etc) will be withheld (legal requirement) until you get a letter of release from the tax office saying you've cleared your taxes. Only then will your employer pay your final salary.

So dont jump ship early.
    it’s not a legal requiremnt to withhold the last salary. Many employers do this because they don’t trust their employees and are afraid they get stuck with the final tax bill but there is no law in Hong Kong (as far as I am aware) that says they absolutely must withhold the last salary. My employer (an international company with a Hong Kong subsidiary) did not follow this local custom and paid out my last salary and my bonusses without tax being settled beforehand.

Original Post Deleted

You could do that...and piss off your employer...who will write a nasty letter to immigration and inland revenue sealing your fate that if you ever did want to come back, you make it difficult for yourself and have a bad record.
    z754103 likes this.

pay your tax and leave, they (employer) cannot stop you leaving earlier HK Immigration couldnt care less.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    pay your tax and leave, they (employer) cannot stop you leaving earlier HK Immigration couldnt care less.
    Priority is your taxes. Pay that first. Then go see a doctor and get your sick leave. for the next few weeks. Or you can just leave on the plane. But what about your MPF ? do you need your employer to fill in the forms to claim back the money

just shirk and chill the last few weeks...dont leave early. and in HK style, make sure there is a letter they give you when you leave that confirms your employment dates so when you look for new jobs you have that as proof of employment. Get away with the bare minimum and just treat any toxicity as noise.

If it all feels unbearable, get signed off sick. Go see a doc and get a dr note. You can take a look at the below that shows you your labour rights for sick leave (it depends on your ontract type and length of service etc) https://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public...seGuide/05.pdf

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurs88:
    But what about your MPF ? do you need your employer to fill in the forms to claim back the money
    No need la