Like Tree14Likes

Leaving Your Job Suddenly

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    pay your tax and leave, they (employer) cannot stop you leaving earlier HK Immigration couldnt care less.
    No! Wait!! Pay your tax, get last salary, then leave. You get the last month salary AFTER you have settled your final taxes at IRD (after IRD gives you a release letter which you need to give to employer). Employer doesnt pay you last month until after you give them that stupid letter from IRD.
    chuckster007 likes this.

If you leave early check your contractual obligation. Early leaver might forfeit leaves (depending on in-company rule), pay (definitely) and whole lot of potential benefit. Unless you have already agreed with them the date and all are settled prior to leaving.

Don't really recommend that since you have already resigned and made up your mind to quit.

z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    No! Wait!! Pay your tax, get last salary, then leave. You get the last month salary AFTER you have settled your final taxes at IRD (after IRD gives you a release letter which you need to give to employer). Employer doesnt pay you last month until after you give them that stupid letter from IRD.
    Does the IRD mail the release letter to you? In that case, does that mean you can't leave Hong Kong before that occurs (I guess you can but then no one picks up that letter and the last month's salary isn't paid)?

Quote Originally Posted by todomalo:
    Does the IRD mail the release letter to you? In that case, does that mean you can't leave Hong Kong before that occurs (I guess you can but then no one picks up that letter and the last month's salary isn't paid)?
    Does you employer pay your last month salary? Or do they withhold it? If they withhold, then they should give you form IR56G "Notification by an employer of an employee who is about to depart from Hong Kong". This form IR56G is almost identical to IR56B that you get at end of every tax year to do your taxes, shows all your income, etc, its just that its for current year to date instead of up to March 31st of previous year.

What you should do is go to tax office, bring IR56G, bring CASH to pay your taxes for one year. Then you can do everything in half a day at the tax office, pay the full year tax amount at the post office inside the tax office building, then they will give you a release letter on the spot. You then give release letter to your company, they pay your last month salary.

If you dont bring cash to tax office, you have to pay taxes by bank transfer or other means, then you will not get release letter on the spot and will have to go back a few days later after payment has cleared to get the release letter and give to your company.
    chuckster007 and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Does you employer pay your last month salary? Or do they withhold it? If they withhold, then they should give you form IR56G "Notification by an employer of an employee who is about to depart from Hong Kong". This form IR56G is almost identical to IR56B that you get at end of every tax year to do your taxes, shows all your income, etc, its just that its for current year to date instead of up to March 31st of previous year.

What you should do is go to tax office, bring IR56G, bring CASH to pay your taxes for one year. Then you can do everything in half a day at the tax office, pay the full year tax amount at the post office inside the tax office building, then they will give you a release letter on the spot. You then give release letter to your company, they pay your last month salary.

If you dont bring cash to tax office, you have to pay taxes by bank transfer or other means, then you will not get release letter on the spot and will have to go back a few days later after payment has cleared to get the release letter and give to your company.
    Thanks that's very useful. I'm not sure if my employer withholds it (I will check) but sounds like worst case I should factor in a day at the IRD to get the release letter issued to me.

I'll see if they take EPS because carrying a bunch of cash for a year's worth of taxes seems a bit much! Although if they subtract the provisional tax from last year from the final payment then it might not be that bad.