Like Tree14Likes

Leaving Your Job Suddenly

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Leaving Your Job Suddenly

Things have broken down so much at work, I am seriously considering changing my flight and leaving earlier than my stated leaving date, once I've settled my tax bill.

I'm hoping I don't need to do this, but would like to know for my peace of mind if it is an option.

If I did do a midnight run, could my employer and/or immigration stop me from leaving Hong Kong or even arrest me?

Thank-you for your time.

Don Pacifico.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Pacifico:
    Things have broken down so much at work, I am seriously considering changing my flight and leaving earlier than my stated leaving date, once I've settled my tax bill.

I'm hoping I don't need to do this, but would like to know for my peace of mind if it is an option.

If I did do a midnight run, could my employer and/or immigration stop me from leaving Hong Kong or even arrest me?

Thank-you for your time.

Don Pacifico.
    Why would immigration want to stop you?

My question would be how would you settle your tax bill without your employer knowing?

What would be the downside of doing it properly? If needs be just go sick.

Not sure why immigration would want to stop me. My job has been quite bad for my mental health and I reckon I've gotten paranoid.

I am settling the tax bill with the help of my employer, but if things get worse I might consider leaving a couple of weeks before my resignation date.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Pacifico:
    Not sure why immigration would want to stop me. My job has been quite bad for my mental health and I reckon I've gotten paranoid.

I am settling the tax bill with the help of my employer, but if things get worse I might consider leaving a couple of weeks before my resignation date.
    If work is that bad for your mental health then go sick. If it was a physical illness caused by work you would.
    z754103 likes this.

Interesting, but I should have my tax affairs all settled maybe 2-3 weeks before my resignation date.

I intend to pay the bill, what I'm considering is possibly leaving early, between paying my tax, and my already agreed resignation date.

Hopefully it won't come to that.

Last edited by Don Pacifico; 21-11-2021 at 12:07 PM.

You need an employers return to pay your tax bill if I recall the process.

Have you resigned yet? I.e you've handed in a piece of paper or email to your line manager / HR stating your intention to quit?

If not, it's best to hand in your notice then start handling your affairs. Your employer should ask "are you going to leave Hong Kong" and your answer should be "yes". It makes everyone's life easier if they file the correct paperwork.

You may even be able to negotiate a reduction in your notice period. Usually HR don't want people who have one foot out of the door hanging around too long.

@shri

Yes, that's been done. Just waiting for the bill in the post now.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Have you resigned yet? I.e you've handed in a piece of paper or email to your line manager / HR stating your intention to quit?

If not, it's best to hand in your notice then start handling your affairs. Your employer should ask "are you going to leave Hong Kong" and your answer should be "yes". It makes everyone's life easier if they file the correct paperwork.

You may even be able to negotiate a reduction in your notice period. Usually HR don't want people who have one foot out of the door hanging around too long.
    Yes, gave my notice months ago, giving the desired 3 months.
    A question now of if I can keep going until the actual date.
    Really quite a toxic environment.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    If work is that bad for your mental health then go sick. If it was a physical illness caused by work you would.
    Absolutely. Docs will sign anything for a fee. Seen it a hundred times.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast