Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By chuckster007

Keeping HK drivers licence

Closed Thread

Keeping HK drivers licence

When I leave Hong Kong, I think I'm supposed to notify the transport department within 72 hours of my change of address (not sure what proof they want if I am moving overseas and haven't got an address yet...).

But in any event, does anyone know if I get to keep my licence as I will need it to exchange it for a local licence abroad.

You only need to notify change of address if your changing address IN HONG KONG. They dont care if you're moving abroad.
    Off course you can keep it when going abroad.

What chuckster said.

You can keep it, but it won't be valid. So you will need to exchange it in your destination country / region before renting or buying a car.

Won't any notification letter like a renewal be sent to your current address if it's not updated?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocobber:
    Won't any notification letter be sent to your address?
    This is why it's no longer considered valid once you leave the city

Q10. What should an applicant do if he resides outside Hong Kong and does not have a property / mailbox for correspondence purpose?
    A10. If the applicant obtains authorization from his relatives / friends / employers / companies owned by the applicant, he can use the local address of his relatives / friends / employers / companies as the correspondence address for receiving correspondence. Acceptable documents include:
    (using relative's address)

• address proof of his relative; and
    • document that can prove the relationship between the applicant and his relative, e.g. marriage certificate and / or birth certificate (original or copy).

(using friend's address)

• address proof of his friend;
    • authorization letter signed by his friend which shows that the applicant is authorized to use the address for receiving correspondence [to be retained by TD]; and
    • copy of his friend's identity document.

(using employer's address)

• address proof of his employer;
    • authorization letter signed by his employer which shows that the applicant is authorized to use the address for receiving correspondence [to be retained by TD]; and
    • copy of his employer's Certificate of Incorporation / Business Registration Certificate (if the employer is a company) or identity document (if the employer is an individual).

(using company's address)

• address proof of the company;
    • authorization letter signed by the authorized person of the company which shows that the applicant is authorized to use the address for receiving correspondence [to be retained by TD]; and
    • copy of the company's Certificate of Incorporation.

The authorization letter shall state clearly the name of his friend / employer / company and the applicant, and the address being authorized for use.

https://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_serv...index.html#coa

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    What chuckster said.

You can keep it, but it won't be valid. So you will need to exchange it in your destination country / region before renting or buying a car.
    It might complicate things, but in many cases you can use a foreign license, even if you are a resident, for a while - I think it's up to a year in the UK. I have both rented a car in the UK and been insured as a named driver on a private car there with my HK license...

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    You only need to notify change of address if your changing address IN HONG KONG. They dont care if you're moving abroad.
    Off course you can keep it when going abroad.
    I still have mine. But I think it expires next year. I didn't have to notify the transport authority. The only thing I had to give back was my HKID. Same in SG and UAE.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    The only thing I had to give back was my HKID.
    Why did you give back your HKID card?? It was taken/collected by which dept or did you surrender it yourself. Its only a piece of plastic that you could have kept as a souvenir if you wanted to, its not mandatory to hand it back in
    Skyhook and vmlinuz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Why did you give back your HKID card?? It was taken/collected by which dept or did you surrender it yourself. Its only a piece of plastic that you could have kept as a souvenir if you wanted to, its not mandatory to hand it back in
    Husband insisted as I was a trailing spouse on his visa, but the conditions were still that I could work legally in HKG.