Like Tree11Likes

Moving HK -> UK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I did Speedpost to TW (2 x 30kg). They said 2 months (due to fewer planes in covid) came in 5 days. Also paid some overweight/extra luggage fees as well. Thought there was some kind of sea freight to TW (like there is to Philippines) but, no, just if you do a container or half container (I didn't have that much stuff).

Dragged to down to the Post Office on Peng Chau, really doubt there is pick-up service on PC, too much hassle to figure it all out). Also cannot pack mobile phones, had to go through my junk and grab my old one out of the box.

I think in covid times, all freight is hit or miss as to when it arrives- you could get lucky like me or unlucky and wait forever.

So another vote for Speedpost from me (also used it back in 2012 to the US to ship stuff, mainly books...).

We use parcel force here/UK to send to HK. I don't know what the HK arm is. It's actually not bad as we pay (recent) less than £70 per box up to 30kg. Sure you can do it other end. Took 5/7 days for delivery. Used 3 X's in less than a year. You can look it up as Parcel Forced does have a HK partner.

Edit: for not much more you can insure

Second parcel force, we used it to ship boxes of books & clothes from HK to UK.

scotland likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by scotland:
    We use parcel force here/UK to send to HK. I don't know what the HK arm is. It's actually not bad as we pay (recent) less than £70 per box up to 30kg. Sure you can do it other end. Took 5/7 days for delivery. Used 3 X's in less than a year. You can look it up as Parcel Forced does have a HK partner.

Edit: for not much more you can insure
    HK post office gets handled by parcel force at the UK end.

Unfortunately Parcel Force can stuff up and will deny responsibility. All because an idiot delivery person didn’t bother informing a recipient that delivery was attempted. Nor bothered to knock on the door. Management totally denied responsibility.

Be aware.

We're in the process of planning our exit (temporarily) from HK. Could the experts and experienced please clear up one confusion I have from this thread.
    Am I correct in thinking that the 1048 quoted (352 for 1kg + 29 x 24 ) is for sea mail, takes 2-3 months and will not pick up from your door, while the speed post in significantly faster, more expensive and will pick up from your door.
    Lastly, can anybody inform me on the dimensions of the 30kg box available from the Post Office.
    Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by jt501:
    Lastly, can anybody inform me on the dimensions of the 30kg box available from the Post Office.
    Thanks all.
    30kg Multipack (73cm x 55cm x 46cm) - HK$45.00 each

Perfect info. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jt501:
    We're in the process of planning our exit (temporarily) from HK. Could the experts and experienced please clear up one confusion I have from this thread.
    Am I correct in thinking that the 1048 quoted (352 for 1kg + 29 x 24 ) is for sea mail, takes 2-3 months and will not pick up from your door, while the speed post in significantly faster, more expensive and will pick up from your door.
    Thanks all.
    You are correct in your understanding. Just to add, when I moved Speed post was not available due to the situation at that time (Covid July 2020) . Not sure if that has changed.

With the new Govt handout (1st installment of 5K in mid april), we will use HK Govts money to pay post office with our octopus cards to help us ship our stuff to UK LOL

Thanks HK Govt for free shipping.

tf19 and vmlinuz like this.