Like Tree8Likes

How many days to stay in HK before flying out

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How many days to stay in HK before flying out

I'm leaving Hong Kong soon and my last day of work will be on a Friday. I was planning on having my household goods shipped on a Saturday, leave an old mattress that I'm not taking with me to sleep on and fly out on the Sunday with my suitcases.

But I read that there might be some admin that I need to take care of with the IRD (in person?) before I leave?

In that case, not sure if I should have my goods shipped and fly out a week after my last working day.

If there's any other administrative things that people can think of that should be done in person before I go that would be most appreciated.

Dont forget if you want a free HK$10k departure gift from the government (for anyone with taxable income over HK$200k per year), you should open a TVC account, deposit $60k into TVC, save an instant $10k in your final tax calculations when you visit the IRD, then redraw the $60k back from TVC.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Thanks that's a useful list. Although it seems to say "the IRD will issue a release letter" but not who the letter is sent to. If to the employer then that's ok but if it's to me then I guess I'd need to stick around till I get that letter.

Have you worked out your taxes and MPF ?

Quote Originally Posted by todomalo:
    Thanks that's a useful list. Although it seems to say "the IRD will issue a release letter" but not who the letter is sent to. If to the employer then that's ok but if it's to me then I guess I'd need to stick around till I get that letter.
    The IRD release letter is handed to you personally at the tax office, in a sealed envelope that is only to be opened by your employer. You need to hand deliver it to your employer. As far as I know, they dont mail it out to your employer, you need to pick it up in person. But I might be wrong on this and maybe you can request they mail it to your empployer.

But before you get to this stage, your employer must issue you an IR56G form, you need to rock up to tax office, spend half a day there doing your final tax return. If you pay with cash on the spot you will get the release letter on the spot in that half day. If you pay any other way (EPS, bank transfer, etc), it will take a number of days before the tax office can confirm payment received so you will have to go there a 2nd time a number of days later to pick up the release letter (or maybe you can request they send to your employer, but it was not the way it worked for me).

If you dont get release letter, good chance your employer will not give you your last months salary.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    The IRD release letter is handed to you personally at the tax office, in a sealed envelope that is only to be opened by your employer. You need to hand deliver it to your employer. As far as I know, they dont mail it out to your employer, you need to pick it up in person. But I might be wrong on this and maybe you can request they mail it to your empployer.

But before you get to this stage, your employer must issue you an IR56G form, you need to rock up to tax office, spend half a day there doing your final tax return. If you pay with cash on the spot you will get the release letter on the spot in that half day. If you pay any other way (EPS, bank transfer, etc), it will take a number of days before the tax office can confirm payment received so you will have to go there a 2nd time a number of days later to pick up the release letter (or maybe you can request they send to your employer, but it was not the way it worked for me).

If you dont get release letter, good chance your employer will not give you your last months salary.
    Thanks very much, that is very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:

Thanks for this that's really useful information. I guess I need to factor in some days after my last day at work then to deal with this.

Thanks for the details. Theoretically, since I paid my provisional tax for next year this year already, there's a chance I won't have to pay anything (or not much at all)?

Quote Originally Posted by todomalo:
    Thanks for the details. Theoretically, since I paid my provisional tax for next year this year already, there's a chance I won't have to pay anything (or not much at all)?
    Quite possibly. It's not really an issue about paying tax, it's about getting that letter. I do think they post to employers, yes, because we used to get them sent to us. But as an employer is REQUIRED to withhold the last month salary without the letter, this is the single most important thing to do. Everything else on that list seemed rather silly or bleeding obvious. No need to hand in your ID card or close your bank accounts; never say never in this world. Even if you think you are leaving "for good", I would keep options open.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast