Like Tree7Likes

Getting a mortgage in UK or HK to purchase a house in England, while working in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Agreed. Being resident is a requirement. Lombard loan is acceptable though. If you don't mind using a private bank.
    Last edited by Galvs; 16-02-2022 at 04:31 PM.

Talk to a broker, there are a few UK Mortgage brokers in HK who should be able to help.

Original Post Deleted
    hmm ok. I stand corrected. My experience is with Australian banks buying property in Australia, assumed the same general principles would have applied. That must suck for UK citizens living overseas trying to manage or remortage their properties back home. When I was living in HK, no problem managing my Australian properties with Australian banks, I bought a small apartment in Australia 6 months before I moved back home with HKD income as proof of income, they were even smart enough to know that HK taxation rates are lower than in Aus so even though they took away some buffer because of cross currency loan (income in different currency than mortgage), but then they added added back some buying power due to Hong Kong having lower taxation rates. This was with a local state bank in Australia (BankWest), not even one of the big 4 banks.

Possible with UK HSBC. Am in negotiations with them now for my third buy to let mortgage for a UK property. I have not lived in the UK for many years

chuckster007, kltang and Sage like this.

I went to a talk last year and the mortgage broker was from St. James Place - Neil Jensen. Remember him saying HSBC UK having better rates than HSBC Expat.

Care to share their contact details or the person you’re dealing with?

Quote Originally Posted by kltang:
    Care to share their contact details or the person you’re dealing with?
    Wish I could, but haven't bought anything yet. Was just curious on the process etc.

Have checked the regs and it is 75K for self employed and 50K if employed.

I went to HSBC expat in HK and they arranged for a telephone interview for me with HSBC UK to kick off the process, it takes several calls and mountains of paperwork. Still ongoing with the latest application now

They can tell you if you are eligible after 2 calls but will only actually agree when your offer for a specific property has been accepted
    by the seller. an added stress layer

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    Talk to a broker, there are a few UK Mortgage brokers in HK who should be able to help.
    this guy was worth every penny and not overly expensive.

Aly Kassam (correct name)

[email protected]

I hope he is still there. He certainly was last time I shared the link.

In a nutshell got me a mortgage with the Halifax (no surcharge, just standard fixed term) when I moved UK property. The stupid thing is my residual mortgage was with Halifax who refused. And I got a lovely welcome to your new mortgage pack from the Halifax delivered to the new place 😀

HSBC UK wouldn’t entertain and when I showed them my HSBC HK accounts they said their systems aren’t joined up.

In essence a good broker has direct access to Bank underwriters and as long as your finances and credit checks stand up then you are in a good place. Side note to check your UK credit profile online. I was shocked to find and prove that a couple of items attributed to me were incorrect.