Like Tree13Likes

Apartment in the UK/internet connection

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Apartment in the UK/internet connection

We have bought a place in the UK and will leave HK in the coming weeks. Sad to leave but looking forward to the next chapter.

Does anyone know if we can organise internet at the house before we arrive? If so, which company is best? We will buy and use a UK sim but want to set up connection as we will be working remotely almost immediately after arrival to the UK. If possible to do in advance that would be great.

Thank you.

If the apartment has a active line you will easily be able to set up a account online. Check which companies can supply the apartment by checking the address on websites like uswitch.

who did you buy the house from, agent??? why dont you ask them to set it up for you???

Quote Originally Posted by Timaw:
    If the apartment has a active line you will easily be able to set up a account online. Check which companies can supply the apartment by checking the address on websites like uswitch.
    House not apartment

maybe it's better for 'new' customers, but it can take weeks for this stuff to be sorted, esp for a house. generally the companies will need to send an engineer round and that can take weeks to arrange. Such is life in the UK!

lots of price comparison and review websites in the UK - here's a logical place to start your research. 'best' provider can mean different things to different people - speed vs service vs price etc so I think you can do some homework for fun!

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/broa...s-aIIx34f51krz

scotland likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro:
    maybe it's better for 'new' customers, but it can take weeks for this stuff to be sorted, esp for a house. generally the companies will need to send an engineer round and that can take weeks to arrange. Such is life in the UK!
    Are internet connections really that bad to setup in the UK? In Australia we have the NBN which is notoriously bad, but even that I find better than HK in terms of setup, maintenance, customer service. I switch providers every 6 months, in the last 2 years I have had 4 different providers, each time its all done online to deactivate/activate. My NBN box has 4 ports, for example I have Superloop on port 1, if I want to switch to Aussie broadband just enable it on port 2, once I confirm is working OK then deactivate Superloop. No downtime whatsoever.

By the way, I keep changing so often because they dont have fixed term contracts and they always offer specials to switch. Eg Superloop had $20 off for the first 6 months, Aussie Broadband offered 12 months of Amazon Prime, AGL is my gas company and offer $20/month off if I combine gas and internet onto one bill, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Are internet connections really that bad to setup in the UK? In Australia we have the NBN which is notoriously bad, but even that I find better than HK in terms of setup, maintenance, customer service. I switch providers every 6 months, in the last 2 years I have had 4 different providers, each time its all done online to deactivate/activate. My NBN box has 4 ports, for example I have Superloop on port 1, if I want to switch to Aussie broadband just enable it on port 2, once I confirm is working OK then deactivate Superloop. No downtime whatsoever.

By the way, I keep changing so often because they dont have fixed term contracts and they always offer specials to switch. Eg Superloop had $20 off for the first 6 months, Aussie Broadband offered 12 months of Amazon Prime, AGL is my gas company and offer $20/month off if I combine gas and internet onto one bill, etc.
    I don't know about the rest of the UK but in Hull I did it twice and it took a few days both times.

Guess it will depend on the location/provider etc.

Guess my point is that the OP might need to start adjusting expectations for life in the UK vs how things are in HK for this kind of stuff :-)

hike likes this.

Virgin Media

Hi! I would personally recommend AVOIDING Virgin broadband. We (and our U.K. neighbours) have bad experiences with their services over several years. They may have fast fibre broadband but if you have any problems it can be a nightmare to sort out. Good luck.

You can always use a dongle for a bit that could come with your mobile phone package - get a feel for your area before deciding which provider to go with. The dongles aren't expensive - some friends did this before committing. Could be an option.

Where we are, very limited choices - BT or Virgin.
    You might have fibre where you purchased your new home and therefore more choice/faster.

- there are websites that tell you what's on offer if you input your postcode.

Have a great move.

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/g...adband/dongles

MABinPengChau likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast