Like Tree20Likes

Leaving HK to UK and taking helper

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    On the other hand the UK employs many non helper Filipinos as for example nurses. The UK families manage to survive and look after their own children without helpers.
    For some new migrants who suddenly have to take care of children all on their own, the adjustment can be brutal:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...three-children
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/timaru...CICZ3GYFNVY5Y/

Beutiful Italy, where people don't know how to drive :)
    Quote Originally Posted by qhank:
    For some new migrants who suddenly have to take care of children all on their own, the adjustment can be brutal:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...three-children
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/timaru...CICZ3GYFNVY5Y/
    How could anybody do that??

I understand that women have regular mental health issues (I am married to a woman myself!), but this beyond horrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Philips:
    How could anybody do that??

I understand that women have regular mental health issues (I am married to a woman myself!), but this beyond horrible!
    More so than men?

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    More so than men?
    Yes, of course. You are not married, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    On the other hand the UK employs many non helper Filipinos as for example nurses. The UK families manage to survive and look after their own children without helpers.
    I’m wondering how much of a shock to the system it is for parents emigrating to the UK to find that if they wanted a helper they wouldn’t be getting one for £500 per month and certainly wouldn’t be able to treat them like dirt (obviously there are exceptions). Without all the extra curricular stuff at schools and at a decent cost to go private some of these parents may end up actually talking to their children, albeit if they’re teenagers they’ll just get a grunt in return, if they’re lucky. Oh and having to cook for themselves and adjust to the climate.

The flip side is obviously personal and political freedoms, green spaces, bigger accommodation etc.
    Gollygordon likes this.

ByeByeEngland likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Haha. Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Philips:
    Yes, they are exploited in HK, but at least they have a job. How many are able to work in the UK? Almost nobody, because almost nobody in the UK can afford them. And in HK the salary is much higher than pretty much anywhere else the can work (Singapore, middle east, etc.)
    I STRONGLY disagree with your comments about it is only because they can't afford them. As a first generation ( I am nearly 70 ) member of my family never to have to go into domestic service, you would find if you cared to ask, that the vast majority think of "helpers" as only for the Toffs. Certainly only the rich have them and not in the way they are in HK, and UK expats here that do have them would certainly not want to get the "look" from others back in UK.

Helpers are used in the home in UK but vastly for the sick and elderly under the local authority, home help scheme and do not live in unless the person is servely in need and is not in a purpose built care facility. Busy people, usually singletons , may have a cleaner come in for an hour a day or a few hours a week but thats about it. I have never met one person who employed a cook. Stars have hairdressers and contract staff etc and big stars or people in country mansions may have staff but they have big places that need a team and they pay well for trustworthy people.

Looking back at my uncles and great uncles etc. Until they where 11 they would work as "rabbiters" and get paid by what they caught. At 11 they could work as a hall boy, below stairs, cleaning shoes. My mother was a maid and all her siblings. When I was 3 I remember being taken to a BIG London theatre stars house, in a Kensington Mews house, near our flat, for whom my mother cleaned. Her family going back 250 years where likewise employed, my grandfather as a gamekeeper and an uncle who was a landsman at Windsor Great Park for King George ( and was killed in Singapore by the Japanese ) and today 99.9% of working people would never consider it. My mother ensured I never would have the need to work in service.

So I strongly disagree with your assumption and apologise for the rant but it hits a nerve.

I am sure there might be a few UK pats who might disagree but I would ask them, why they didn't have one before they came out here. It's not about money it's about culture. Certainly in my nearly 20 years here as a family, despite the wifes nagging, I have never cosidered it and treat every DH I encounter , in every home I visit, with due respect and kindness because I can understand. ( which I know is not a premise to your comment )
    qhank, hullexile, mengfei and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by David4Maths:
    I STRONGLY disagree with your comments about it is only because they can't afford them. As a first generation ( I am nearly 70 ) member of my family never to have to go into domestic service, you would find if you cared to ask, that the vast majority think of "helpers" as only for the Toffs. Certainly only the rich have them and not in the way they are in HK, and UK expats here that do have them would certainly not want to get the "look" from others back in UK.

Helpers are used in the home in UK but vastly for the sick and elderly under the local authority, home help scheme and do not live in unless the person is servely in need and is not in a purpose built care facility. Busy people, usually singletons , may have a cleaner come in for an hour a day or a few hours a week but thats about it. I have never met one person who employed a cook. Stars have hairdressers and contract staff etc and big stars or people in country mansions may have staff but they have big places that need a team and they pay well for trustworthy people.

Looking back at my uncles and great uncles etc. Until they where 11 they would work as "rabbiters" and get paid by what they caught. At 11 they could work as a hall boy, below stairs, cleaning shoes. My mother was a maid and all her siblings. When I was 3 I remember being taken to a BIG London theatre stars house, in a Kensington Mews house, near our flat, for whom my mother cleaned. Her family going back 250 years where likewise employed, my grandfather as a gamekeeper and an uncle who was a landsman at Windsor Great Park for King George ( and was killed in Singapore by the Japanese ) and today 99.9% of working people would never consider it. My mother ensured I never would have the need to work in service.

So I strongly disagree with your assumption and apologise for the rant but it hits a nerve.

I am sure there might be a few UK pats who might disagree but I would ask them, why they didn't have one before they came out here. It's not about money it's about culture. Certainly in my nearly 20 years here as a family, despite the wifes nagging, I have never cosidered it and treat every DH I encounter , in every home I visit, with due respect and kindness because I can understand. ( which I know is not a premise to your comment )
    Thank you for your comment. I don't see how we disagree.

Now you should make up a story about your grandmother being a maid chamber for King George, and your father having had a cunning resemblance to King George. You always wondered whether your father wasn't actually an illegitimate son of King George, specially since your grandmother got a very very generous payment by King George for keeping mum, and used the money to open a restaurant in London, where King George would often come incognito to dine. In fact, your family is the only who knows that, etc. etc. etc. .......