Like Tree101Likes

Moving to Singapore, or staying in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I would question whether asking people who have chosen to live in Hong Kong is the best sample to take advice from on such an important decision.

(I have never been outside Singapore airport )

bdw and Hkemail888 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I would question whether asking people who have chosen to live in Hong Kong is the best sample to take advice from on such an important decision.

Surely the only people who can advise on this are those who have lived in or at least spent significant time in both cities?

If OP is sitting in HK right now, which is pretty much as bad as it’s been for the past 15 years, and still reluctant to go to Singapore, that says quite a lot.
    alexdown and muzzdang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Surely the only people who can advise on this are those who have lived in or at least spent significant time in both cities?

If OP is sitting in HK right now, which is pretty much as bad as it’s been for the past 15 years, and still reluctant to go to Singapore, that says quite a lot.
    Yes agreed, but the responses are from people who having experienced both have chosen HK. There is an inbuilt bias there surely? Not going to get many "I loved Singapore and much prefer it over Hong Kong but chose to live in Hong Kong anyway". Though could be for work reasons I accept.

And I am not saying one is better than the other.

I think that Singapore has plenty going for it, include a cultural diversity and richness that Hong Kong lacks. You can eat awesome south Indian, Peranakan, Malay and Indonesian food in addition to basically all of the main Chinese cuisines. Exploring China Town, Kampong Glam, Katong or Little India is in my opinion just as interesting than strolling through the back streets of Mongkok. For what its worth, I think there is a lot of cultural, art and museum stuff going on as well in SG.
    I think in terms of diversity of food, culture and ethnicities Singapore beats HK by far. Even in the Marina financial district I find that Singapore represents Asia far better than say HK and Its financial center.

(just wanted to highlight this... I have no opinion about long term living there..)
    jgl, merchantms and Hkemail888 like this.

IMO food there kicks ass.

Though I used to meet people from Singapore who would come to Hong Kong and rave about the food here.

Ummmm, lots of advice already so no need mine.

Seriously tho, if everything is almost setup, you can't really pull the plug now can you...

Quote Originally Posted by sarsi:
    Ummmm, lots of advice already so no need mine.

Seriously tho, if everything is almost setup, you can't really pull the plug now can you...
    I'm in a privileged position, I can pull the plug whenever I want... Great input btw, helped a lot sarsi!

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:

For reference, my view is based on having lived and worked in Singapore in the past : )

Quote Originally Posted by JP89:
    I made the move in the other direction from SG to HK a few years back and do miss aspects of life in Singapore. I firmly believe that it has gained an unfair reputation from people who do not know it well.

Foreigners visit on business a few times and feel able to judge an entire country. Staying in a business hotel in Raffles Place and then going for drinks in Boat Quay with your boss is pretty boring!HK expats who go on about Singapore lacking a soul and culture are hardly immersing themselves in Cantonese opera and eating at the Cha Chaan Teng every day, so I’m not sure what their angle is.

I think that Singapore has plenty going for it, include a cultural diversity and richness that Hong Kong lacks. You can eat awesome south Indian, Peranakan, Malay and Indonesian food in addition to basically all of the main Chinese cuisines. Exploring China Town, Kampong Glam, Katong or Little India is in my opinion just as interesting than strolling through the back streets of Mongkok. For what its worth, I think there is a lot of cultural, art and museum stuff going on as well in SG.

When I was there, I found living expenses to be considerably cheaper than Hong Kong. Though I do appreciate that rents have gone through the roof in the last 18 months or so. I was on a relatively low salary and was still very comfortable. Rent was literally half the price of Hong Kong and double the space and quality. The place is extremely efficient – everything works. If you can handle the climate in Hong Kong, Singapore really shouldn’t be a problem. The climate in HK is basically the same as SG for 6+ month of the year.

The one thing that Singapore indisputably lacks is the scenery and nature of Hong Kong. It doesn’t have a mountainous hinterland or beautiful beaches. But these are all within easy reach of Changi airport. Is Singapore perfect? Nope. But can it be an excellent place to live, have fun, explore South-East Asia – yep!
    Based on my own experience, I disagree.

I find SG to be interesting enough to visit, especially with family, but living there for a year was such a drag. It's not that the city is boring per se - sure, there's lots to do if you search. More that it had a pervading atmosphere of emptiness and artificially - see Sentosa for a prime example.

The usual response is that all the things you miss are a quick flight away. I remember someone telling me the best thing about Singapore is Changi Airport. But the reality is that most people don't have the time and resources to be flying out every weekend or cross the bridge for a slightly cheaper, more downmarket equivalent in Johor Barhu. Which means you are stuck with what you have, which ultimately isn't very much.

Aww don't be a sourpuss. If you can be mobile and sounds like no real impact to comp then just go la. Pick the one that makes more sense for your job now - that will never be the wrong decision for moving professionals, even if it ain't the best one. You can always move back if you hate it. If it is really inertia and age keeping you here in HK, it'll keep you in Sg too.

Ok la some plus point if u move. no more hiking suggestions finally. And if you ever end up in the news, at least you won't see yourself being described as a non-ethic Chinese. No races here in China so no racism! There's only Chinese and non Chinese.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast