Like Tree85Likes

Moving to Singapore, or staying in Hong Kong

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Everyone who visits HK rave about the food here because they don't eat ABC meals at cha chan teng daily. They eat at the nice dim sum restaurant, mak noodles, etc. etc. Friends still keep saying they miss HK food for not coming here 2 years. My son beg to differ after eating ABC meals for months...........

On the subject of living in both cities (i've lived in both cities). I can say that Singapore is slightly better in terms of the people attitude leading to better social environment as compared to here where if you are 1 sec slow in ordering you will hear DLLM. infrastructure its basically the same, advance city not some outback place. Food i think is almost the same (basically any advance city would have lost the original flavour of the food), if you only eat at laopasat/Newton in Singapore, then you should try local auntie wan ton noodle......with ketchup (local fusion). Racism not as bad as HK as they are more open to foreigners, culturally understanding and also they do speak Singlish. Weather is as hot as HK but at least nights are cooler than HK summers.

Decision to move or not is not so much of quality of life but also work and children education. If based on quality of life I would go Thailand or something as both place is shite, mainly I don't find fast pace big cities appealing. Work wise - I'm here because of the money previously but looks like the situation has deteriorated quite badly and I'm quite certain no amount of yes-man could pull this place out of the dumps. Education wise i can't find words to describe and to fight over schools here . Healthcare, i don't even want to start as I just brought my kid to see 6 doctors who could not diagnose. So much for Asia's World City

AsianXpat0, shri and NTCP88 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NTCP88:
    Cons Singapore:

• It’s a boring place. Was there for a 10 days back in August, and god damn, I was bored after day 4. I’ve been to Singapore a few dozen times, never really thought it was boring, till I considered living there.
    • Discrimination: according to some friends who live there, they are basically second class citizens. For example, during SG’s vaccination program SG Citizens were prioritized, then PRs, than all the rest (expats with Employment Pass, domestic helpers, etc.).
    • Racism: We all know that SG has a racists side. Some of my friends experienced it first handed a few months ago. When they arrived in SG, Immigration took them aside for an interrogation. Why? Because they have Arabic names. They are Ivy League educated, work for First Tier IBs and Hedge Funds. Just because of their name they were taken aside for 45min and aggressively asked what they were doing in SG. After Immigration did a background check, they released them, no apology.
    • Rent is getting out of control.
    • Jealous culture: in Singapore when you are successful, people envy you. In Hong Kong people are happy for you.
    • Higher taxes.
    • PR almost impossible.
    • Expensive. Daily expenses are higher than in HK.
    I realized I went off the topic since you want to know what is Singapore good for.
    1. Boring because you are new to the city and don't know what to do and where to go
    2. Discriminate foreigners on vaccine - its a normal practice for all countries. HK for example when they allow PRC to get whatever vaccine here, the locals freak out and complain its taken by other
    3. Racism - immigration does that because they need to secure their border and "track" everyone. I get flag as potential terrorist in the States and have to do the detention of shame with Mexicans but I don't if I enter Singapore as they would culturally understand its not possible for me to be one. Also my friend who arrived in HK a few years ago got detained by HK immigration for the exact same reason because he is dark skin and my landlord told me off for letting "indians" stay at my newly rented apartment. Thats until I told her off that my friend is royalty and hanging out with me during Rugby 7's. I think if try to live a normal life and people treat you in a discriminatory way then you can claim this city is racist like what happened to me in HK. Not immigration because that's their job to discriminate to keep the country safe.
    4. There is no such thing as people jealous or happy for you here or SG. Everywhere is the same. I guess you don't mix a lot with the locals. Should try before you leave by driving your fancy car down to a bar in MK and show off by buying a dozen of champagne, then you can be a judge how much they like or hate you.
    5. Higher taxes - have you made the calculation before? if you are in the middle upper region its actually cheaper. But if you are in the upper upper region yes its more expensive
    6. Expensive is relative to how much you make, if you can make more there then why does it matter if its more expensive? Its just like when I came here, rent is ridiculously expensive but after a while I realised my pay can cover it well and it doesn't matter how expensive it is and I willing to go for bigger units. Also if you are paying high high tax bracket, does it matter if things are expensive? BTW i'm starting to get jealous....
    shri, Mrs. Jones and Hkemail888 like this.

If you’re single HK is a better place to be. Singapore is more for families. You’re right about Singapore being more boring. That’s why families are better off there. Not singles. I prefer HK any day. I think you should stay in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by sarsi:
    Aww don't be a sourpuss. If you can be mobile and sounds like no real impact to comp then just go la. Pick the one that makes more sense for your job now - that will never be the wrong decision for moving professionals, even if it ain't the best one. You can always move back if you hate it. If it is really inertia and age keeping you here in HK, it'll keep you in Sg too.

Ok la some plus point if u move. no more hiking suggestions finally. And if you ever end up in the news, at least you won't see yourself being described as a non-ethic Chinese. No races here in China so no racism! There's only Chinese and non Chinese.
    sarsi, can you recommend me some 'must do' hiking trails before I leave

Stay in HK.

I used to be on rotation for 2 weeks HK and 2 weeks SG. I looked forward to coming back to HK every day I was in SG.

Pros for SG:
    -More space
    -Best hainan chicken (tintin)

Cons:
    -BORING AF
    -HOT AF
    -SG PEOPLE ARE MEH....

I don't mind Singaporeans. The ethnic Chinese can be a bit entitled and scratch the surface and you get some PAP fanatic, but I did find them friendlier than your average Hong Konger.

Agree on weather and the general vibe of the place. I moved there direct from China so it was some contrast. I used to actually want shop assistants to be rude to me, just so I felt alive again

In Singapore things (work, MRT, taxis, shops, restaurant service...I could go on) are WAY SLOWER than in HK. Some people are ok with it, but it's annoying - at least at the beginning.

Things are "efficient" 1) because they underpromise - so they can be in a position to overdeliver, and 2) if you follow the book and never ever ask for something out of the ordinary.

Boring yea it's boring - not a lot of things to do, especially if you are an active/outdoorsy person. Almost no live music (but I'm told that's banned in HK too). Plus everything needs to be planned out... restaurants need to be booked weeks in advance..heck even at lunchtime in the business district, no booking no table.
    Activities, friends meetings, etc...no last minute unplanned going out.

I saw takeaway lunch places that sell out at 11am...day after day. In HK they'll just ramp up production. In sg, they close for the day. Some are ok with the attitude but most I know would say wtf and roll eyes.

Foreigners on EP are 'guests' and they're there because of work and no chance to stay long term...that's very clear and there are 100s of subtle 'discriminations' to remind you of that...so if it doesn't bother you, then no problem.
    PR is just a longer EP, as even "PR" need to be renewed every 5 years (it's in no way "permanent", and if you happen to be unemployed when pr is due for renewal, you have to leave the country TYBB).

So yea it's good if you do your work, head out to the pub early and spend weekends with your kids, or your kid's friends parents. Which is...ok, I guess. Just different.

shri, NTCP88, Mrs. Jones and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    In Singapore things (work, MRT, taxis, shops, restaurant service...I could go on) are WAY SLOWER than in HK. Some people are ok with it, but it's annoying - at least at the beginning.
    I don't mind how long things take, especially if the quality is good. HK might have been fast at some things but generally the end result was shoddy or very very generic, which suits the impractical types.

Also, imagine our surprise ( the first time) when we on the MRT coming back from the Chomp Chomp Hawkers Market (I think)and being offered a seat because my wife was clearly pregnant lol. Never got offered seats in Hong Kong and my wife is local. In Singapore we did on every train ride when there wasn't a spare seat, same in Japan.

Singapore is orderly and clean, we found the people friendly and polite, so for those with children, I can certainly see the attraction. I also much prefer the more obvious multi cultural slant of SG, but not sure about the bordom aspect as I think 'some' people are just needy of attention/stimulation.

So, when I was young free and single, Singapore probably wouldn't have interested me, just like South Korea never made my chicken curl either, compared to southern China and Japan, so I think it depends on one's position in life, how immersive you want to be and what you want from the whole experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I don't mind how long things take, especially if the quality is good.
    The whole point of public transit is to move you from A to B as quickly and conveniently as possible..so in my opinion slowness, as the scarcity of express buses for longer distance trips, matters a lot.
    Buses and MRT are the same "quality" of HK to be honest, the difference is that is much more likely you have to transfer because routes are optimised for other metrics not to reduce trip time.
    MRT doors stay open for anything between 30s to 2min even if there are no passengers alighting/boarding...that's a design choice, but a clear waste of time imho

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    The whole point of public transit is to move you from A to B as quickly and conveniently as possible..so in my opinion slowness, as the scarcity of express buses for longer distance trips, matters a lot.
    Buses and MRT are the same "quality" of HK to be honest, the difference is that is much more likely you have to transfer because routes are optimised for other metrics not to reduce trip time.
    MRT doors stay open for anything between 30s to 2min even if there are no passengers alighting/boarding...that's a design choice, but a clear waste of time imho
    HK taxis are quick and convenient, seriously shit though
    Mrs. Jones and alexdown like this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast