Like Tree101Likes

Moving to Singapore, or staying in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Always amusing to see SG expats burst a vein in trying to convince others that SG isn't boring.

I've been there. Lived there. It's dull. Truman Show kind of dull.

A city for people who think living in the suburbs is edgy.

So what was the clincher in the end? Did any of the feedback here actually help tip the scales or not really because you were leaning towards staying anyway

Quote Originally Posted by NTCP88:
    Got a good deal at Bel Air Residences, so this will be new HK experience living out of the city.
    You will enjoy the Cyberport park. Let me know if you need any tips.. Been 'living out of the city' for well over 20 years..
    NTCP88 likes this.

Housing better than in HK, size, yeah. I've visited One Shenton, V on Shenton, Marina Residences and The Pier. What are they all missing, character. They all looked a bit sterile, like every room had a 'kitchen' vibe.
    You have already chosen but I would have advised you to go for a couple of years if you were undecided. Try and move on if you don't like. Without kids, its easy to keep one moving ! Had lived in SG for a few years and living in a place is different to visiting it for holiday/business. The rental market has gone crazy as there is no supply but should cool down in the next 6-12 months.

By the way, all those condos you saw in the CBD are the worst. The only worst one you missed is The Sail. Lots of good places to live in Robertson Quay, Holland Village, East Coast and so on.
    NTCP88 and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftTC:
    You have already chosen but I would have advised you to go for a couple of years if you were undecided. Try and move on if you don't like. Without kids, its easy to keep one moving ! Had lived in SG for a few years and living in a place is different to visiting it for holiday/business. The rental market has gone crazy as there is no supply but should cool down in the next 6-12 months.

By the way, all those condos you saw in the CBD are the worst. The only worst one you missed is The Sail. Lots of good places to live in Robertson Quay, Holland Village, East Coast and so on.
    The Sail is terrible, mold on the walls, terrible isolation, etc.. As you said, rental market has gone crazy... Once everything is back to normal, I'll consider again. Didn't feel comfortable locking myself in for 24 months for a 6k condo that was 4k two months ago. You can add a 'Diplomatic' clause in the agreement, but in case you leave after 12 months, you still have to pay the agent fee...

The Sail is terrible, mold on the walls, terrible isolation, etc.. As you said, rental market has gone crazy... Once everything is back to normal, I'll consider again. Didn't feel comfortable locking myself in for 24 months for a 6k condo that was 4k two months ago. You can add a 'Diplomatic' clause in the agreement, but in case you leave after 12 months, you still have to pay the agent fee...
    Just to clarify, tenant doesn't pay any agent fee and only has to pay for the proportionate agent fee for balance contract in case of break clause since landlord pays the agent fee in SG. Also note that the 4K condo was at 4K approx even 10 years back so the HK rental inflation came in a short time. Hope you enjoy Bel-Air for the time being

Quote Originally Posted by LeftTC:
    Just to clarify, tenant doesn't pay any agent fee and only has to pay for the proportionate agent fee for balance contract in case of break clause since landlord pays the agent fee in SG. Also note that the 4K condo was at 4K approx even 10 years back so the HK rental inflation came in a short time. Hope you enjoy Bel-Air for the time being
    It depends, if you work with an agent to look for a place, you pay the agent fee. If the agent represents the landlord, the landlord pays the agent fee.

Decided to stay. In case HK doesn't goes back to 'COVID Zero' I have my SG Employment Pass ready...

Got a good deal at Bel Air Residences, so this will be new HK experience living out of the city.
    I am sure you made the right decision based on what you wrote. Enjoy it now you have settled your mind.
    NTCP88 likes this.

As mentioned in another topic, I’m planning to move to Singapore. Company has been setup, and received my Employment Pass back in July. However I have doubts if relocating is the right move. Especially if HK will open up in the next coning weeks…

I’ve lived in several European cities, Beijing (three years), Shanghai (one year), and Hong Kong since 2013. I was always excited moving to a new city, however now I have a double feeling. Maybe it’s because I’m getting older and/or Hong Kong has been my ‘home’ for almost a decade.

Pros Hong Kong:

• After almost a decade in HK, I still don’t feel bored. Even when I’m alone at home, I don’t feel bored. The last 18 months were terrible, but hopefully this will change in the next coming weeks/months.
    • I’m familiar with the city, the good and the bad.
    • Overall lifestyle.
    • Hong Kong mentality, people want to become successful.
    • Ease of doing business, there is always an opportunity.

Cons:

• If HK doesn’t open up by the end of the year, I’m worried for its future. Maybe it’s already too little too late. Hong Kong has always been a strong ‘brand’, not sure if it still is.
    • Housing.
    • Less opportunities in my sector.
    • Politically unstable.

Pros Singapore:

• Housing. Although prices are almost on the same level as HK, seems flats/condos have a better layout, bigger, overall better infrastructure.
    • Healthier way of living, meaning less pollution.
    • More of a ‘normal’ lifestyle, maybe that’s what I need.
    • More opportunities in my sector.

Cons Singapore:

• It’s a boring place. Was there for a 10 days back in August, and god damn, I was bored after day 4. I’ve been to Singapore a few dozen times, never really thought it was boring, till I considered living there.
    • Discrimination: according to some friends who live there, they are basically second class citizens. For example, during SG’s vaccination program SG Citizens were prioritized, then PRs, than all the rest (expats with Employment Pass, domestic helpers, etc.).
    • Racism: We all know that SG has a racists side. Some of my friends experienced it first handed a few months ago. When they arrived in SG, Immigration took them aside for an interrogation. Why? Because they have Arabic names. They are Ivy League educated, work for First Tier IBs and Hedge Funds. Just because of their name they were taken aside for 45min and aggressively asked what they were doing in SG. After Immigration did a background check, they released them, no apology.
    • Rent is getting out of control.
    • Jealous culture: in Singapore when you are successful, people envy you. In Hong Kong people are happy for you.
    • Higher taxes.
    • PR almost impossible.
    • Expensive. Daily expenses are higher than in HK.

Are there any members who recently made the move, did you regret it? How’s overall life? Do you miss HK?
    Look at the massive cons list you wrote down for singapore.

I think you already have made the decision in your mind. Clearly Hong Kong is the place for you. Or at least its definitely NOT singapore.

Glad you decided to stay.

Not sure what business you're in, but surely being connected with China (sortof) is a massive advantage over anything SG can offer.
    NTCP88 likes this.

I have lived in both cities as a PR for +10 years each and both have pro's and cons. Both are easy to live in and to travel from at the drop of a hat. If not going for a flight, in HK in the past you could always get to Shenzhen or Macau for a weekend and in Singapore it is Bintan or JB. Both countries can be small minded in attitudes to foreigners and both can offer business opportunities. However, if I was looking at business in HK I would still be concerned with the fact that HK is not fully open and that China is unlikely to be open for some time. Costs come down to salary and earnings, if you are earning enough it doesn't matter where you are.

NTCP88 and ycchai like this.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast