As mentioned in another topic, I’m planning to move to Singapore. Company has been setup, and received my Employment Pass back in July. However I have doubts if relocating is the right move. Especially if HK will open up in the next coning weeks…
I’ve lived in several European cities, Beijing (three years), Shanghai (one year), and Hong Kong since 2013. I was always excited moving to a new city, however now I have a double feeling. Maybe it’s because I’m getting older and/or Hong Kong has been my ‘home’ for almost a decade.
Pros Hong Kong:
- After almost a decade in HK, I still don’t feel bored. Even when I’m alone at home, I don’t feel bored. The last 18 months were terrible, but hopefully this will change in the next coming weeks/months.
- I’m familiar with the city, the good and the bad.
- Overall lifestyle.
- Hong Kong mentality, people want to become successful.
- Ease of doing business, there is always an opportunity.
- If HK doesn’t open up by the end of the year, I’m worried for its future. Maybe it’s already too little too late. Hong Kong has always been a strong ‘brand’, not sure if it still is.
- Less opportunities in my sector.
- Politically unstable.
- Housing. Although prices are almost on the same level as HK, seems flats/condos have a better layout, bigger, overall better infrastructure.
- Healthier way of living, meaning less pollution.
- More of a ‘normal’ lifestyle, maybe that’s what I need.
- More opportunities in my sector.
- It’s a boring place. Was there for a 10 days back in August, and god damn, I was bored after day 4. I’ve been to Singapore a few dozen times, never really thought it was boring, till I considered living there.
- Discrimination: according to some friends who live there, they are basically second class citizens. For example, during SG’s vaccination program SG Citizens were prioritized, then PRs, than all the rest (expats with Employment Pass, domestic helpers, etc.).
- Racism: We all know that SG has a racists side. Some of my friends experienced it first handed a few months ago. When they arrived in SG, Immigration took them aside for an interrogation. Why? Because they have Arabic names. They are Ivy League educated, work for First Tier IBs and Hedge Funds. Just because of their name they were taken aside for 45min and aggressively asked what they were doing in SG. After Immigration did a background check, they released them, no apology.
- Rent is getting out of control.
- Jealous culture: in Singapore when you are successful, people envy you. In Hong Kong people are happy for you.
- Higher taxes.
- PR almost impossible.
- Expensive. Daily expenses are higher than in HK.
Are there any members who recently made the move, did you regret it? How’s overall life? Do you miss HK?