Like Tree33Likes

Leaving Hong Kong Without Paying Mortgage

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Leaving Hong Kong Without Paying Mortgage

Hi all,

I have a hypothetical situation. At the moment I have a mortgage in HK for a property purchased a year and a half ago. With the political and geopolitical situation being what it is, and a couple of small kids, I am considering I may need to leave HK at some point, perhaps in a hurry. This is not something I am planning or want to do in the next 5 years, but it is in the realm of possibilities. With the direction of the market, I will likely be "under water" soon. If I were to leave HK abruptly and not pay my mortgage, the bank would likely foreclose, and also very likely not be able to liquidate the flat without a loss. Are debt collectors likely to chase after me in my home country in such circumstances? What would be the "best" way to handle such sticky situation?

I do want to emphasise this is not something I am planning to do or want to do. I am just trying to prepare for the worse case scenario.

Thanks,
    Fool

Rob2020 likes this.

Would renting the unit out cover the mortgage?

Interesting idea. Unfortunately it's unlikely the rent would cover the mortgage. We got the unit on the cheap cuz it was a "haunted house", our mortgage was 85%. Likely we would still lose some money every month... We would also need someone on the ground to deal with repairs and other issues that may come up.

For maintenance and other issues - these are not that bad if your appliances and building are in reasonable condition. Have a friend or relative who can help?

At the end of the day, the last thing a bank wants is to deal with a foreclosure... Esp if the apartment is not going to bring top dollar at an auction due to the spirits squatting in the apt.

Would also want to watch out for the 3 year rule on stamp duty that will take a chunk out if I am not mistaken. Don't know if it applies to foreclosed flats.

I would focus on not-worst case scenarios to see how you can get away without losing your flat or whatever equity you have put into it .

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Thanks, I may have been reading a little too much news this weekend and getting overly paranoid about the situation in HK/China.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzzrite:
    Thanks, I may have been reading a little too much news this weekend and getting overly paranoid about the situation in HK/China.
    We do have some precedent here withf banks suspending mortgage payments when things got bad during covid.
    Last edited by shri; 23-10-2022 at 11:55 AM.

When you say your mortgage was 85% I assume you mean you put down 15% of your money and the bank loaned you the other 85%? Not that you are paying an interest rate of 85%. Correct?

Correct, we put down 15%.

Original Post Deleted
    Didn't want to assume

Original Post Deleted
    He bought it with his Credit Card.
    jgl and Rob2020 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast