Like Tree7Likes

Desktop computer, hand carry or check in luggage?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    What is it with discrete graphic card!! You expect someone to open your check-in luggage, disassamble computer and steal discrete graphic card mid-air?
    Serious concern if it's a 4090
    Name:  3f61a51cc3b24cfcc78b571174777d7f.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  191.9 KB
    ndt and djtron99 like this.

OK so its bloody obvious. Take the fcuking card out and take it in hand luggage. Rest of the machine pack it properly and check it in.

+1
    - expletives

Take the graphics card out of the slot and check it in together with the desktop PC. This avoids the risk of the connectors (both on the graphics card and the motherboard) from getting damaged. No need to worry about the CMOS battery.
    If your PC has a spinning drive (HDD) then you might want to consider how to ship that one. At least make a full back-up, in case it gets damaged during the trip.

vyral_143 likes this.

When I moved to HK, I took the HDDs - which formed a single multi-drive spanning FS - out of my PC in the UK, packed just the drives, and built a new PC to put them in when I got here...

Of course, I didn't have a graphics card I'd spent hundreds of pounds on, and which was probably worth half of what I paid

And here I am thinking there's no way I would put my pc in my check in luggage due to baggage handlers' infamous rough handling of bags. I've also had my check-in broken into before, but might be because I flew to a degenerate part of the world. Still, just consider where you are going.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    And here I am thinking there's no way I would put my pc in my check in luggage due to baggage handlers' infamous rough handling of bags. I've also had my check-in broken into before, but might be because I flew to a degenerate part of the world. Still, just consider where you are going.
    Recently have bad experience with a tv. The rightside screen has black lines already. The fragile sticker is useless
    Crankshaft likes this.

PCs are shipped all around the US in UPS trucks that take corners on 2 wheels, get drop-kicked to the door, and manage to arrive in 100% working condition.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNotAppearing:
    PCs are shipped all around the US in UPS trucks that take corners on 2 wheels, get drop-kicked to the door, and manage to arrive in 100% working condition.
    Don't think this is comparable. In this case the pc would be in a box which should clearly show it's fragile and UPS, FedEx, or whoever has some responsibility. With a pc inside luggage and airport baggage handlers, both of those are gone.

Look, it will PROBABLY arrive in fine condition with enough precautions. Just depends how valuable it is to you and how much risk you are willing to take. I mean, there's no harm taking it as carry on?

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    Don't think this is comparable. In this case the pc would be in a box which should clearly show it's fragile and UPS, FedEx, or whoever has some responsibility. With a pc inside luggage and airport baggage handlers, both of those are gone.

Look, it will PROBABLY arrive in fine condition with enough precautions. Just depends how valuable it is to you and how much risk you are willing to take. I mean, there's no harm taking it as carry on?
    I'm pretty sure that many ups and DHL carriers either ignore stickers that say 'fragile' or seem as a challenge