Like Tree12Likes

Donating IKEA furniture and possibly also a smart TV to charity

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Donating IKEA furniture and possibly also a smart TV to charity

Hi All,

So we are finally leaving Hong Kong in the next 2 weeks and looking to donate our furniture (dining table, chairs, study table , sofa etc) to charity. Also possibly a 43 inch TV if I dont get a reasonable offer till then.

I did try listing the items here and else where in the classifieds, but so far not much interest and not enough time now to wait around.

Please help to suggest any charitable organisations that will accept furniture and most importantly can come and collect the stuff from our apartment.

Many thanks.

I suspect you will have to pay someone to take it away.

Hkemail888 and Football16 like this.

I see. That makes sense. Might as well if I have too, as I am afraid our land lord might charge us for disposal. So still better to pay and ask them to take it away.

Thank you for response

Refugee Union is always looking for donations

https://refugeeunion.org/

ecy5mak likes this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

> most importantly can come and collect the stuff from our apartment.

I've contacted several charities in the past about this... they will expect you to provide, or pay for, the transportation required. Totally understandable, as otherwise so many people would use them purely as garbage disposal. The only times I've encountered charities picking stuff up themselves has been for serious amounts of functional IT gear.

Also, I wouldn't regard Ikea stuff as worth donating anyway- in my experience, it has a tendency towards disintegration after moving, because chipboard is not the most reliable of materials.

Ideally, you'd throw this up extremely cheap on Carousel (not free, as 'free' attracts all the flakes and weirdos who will then fail to turn up or be a total pain to communicate with). But with two weeks to go... well, that's going to be a bit tough.
    ecy5mak and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    > most importantly can come and collect the stuff from our apartment.

I've contacted several charities in the past about this... they will expect you to provide, or pay for, the transportation required. Totally understandable, as otherwise so many people would use them purely as garbage disposal. The only times I've encountered charities picking stuff up themselves has been for serious amounts of functional IT gear.

Also, I wouldn't regard Ikea stuff as worth donating anyway- in my experience, it has a tendency towards disintegration after moving, because chipboard is not the most reliable of materials.

Ideally, you'd throw this up extremely cheap on Carousel (not free, as 'free' attracts all the flakes and weirdos who will then fail to turn up or be a total pain to communicate with). But with two weeks to go... well, that's going to be a bit tough.

Fair enough. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ecy5mak:
    Hi All,

So we are finally leaving Hong Kong in the next 2 weeks and looking to donate our furniture (dining table, chairs, study table , sofa etc) to charity. Also possibly a 43 inch TV if I dont get a reasonable offer till then.

I did try listing the items here and else where in the classifieds, but so far not much interest and not enough time now to wait around.

Please help to suggest any charitable organisations that will accept furniture and most importantly can come and collect the stuff from our apartment.

Many thanks.

I see you.

Seriously you will struggle. Nobody wants to pick up anything.

I also found it hard to give stuff away in Hong Kong. BuyNothingProject.org exploded in the U.S. during the pandemic.

If you want to get rid of stuff for free, you carry it yourself to a public refuse collection point. They are everywhere and you probably dont need to carry more than a few blocks. Do it late at night if you dont want the embarrasment of people watching you carry a sofa down the street

https://www.fehd.gov.hk/english/map/...rm_type=refuse

chuckster007 and Crankshaft like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast