Like Tree16Likes
  • 5 Post By chuckster007
  • 1 Post By Cheeky Kiwi
  • 2 Post By chuckster007
  • 4 Post By Pauljoecoe
  • 1 Post By vmlinuz
  • 1 Post By aquaman
  • 1 Post By Corrib
  • 1 Post By GentleGeorge

UK immigration and BN(O) visa stats

Closed Thread
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong, from UK
    Posts
    3,838

    UK immigration and BN(O) visa stats

    Bit of a furore in the UK today at the release of 2022-23 immigration stats, showing much higher levels than promised by various government figures...

    But more specific to our interests:

    There have been a total of 172,500 applications for the BN(O) route since its introduction on 31 January 2021 up to the end of March 2023.
    There have been a total of 139,144 grants of out of country BN(O) visas since its introduction on 31 January 2021 to the end of March 2023, and 113,500 people have arrived in the UK on the scheme since it began. There have been an additional 27,276 grants of BN(O) visas made within the UK since introduction of the BN(O) visa route on 31 January 2021.
    The numbers are definitely dying off now after an initial rush, with more stats available at the source: https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...seas-bno-route

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    7,841

    Bloody Honkees everywhere I go
    At 1st last year my Honkee mrs was like, oh wow another HK person, nice. now a year later, shes like, omg they are everywhere and keep driving up the prices of houses by them coming over with suitcases full of cash haha

    vmlinuz, shri, mrgoodkat and 2 others like this.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Faroe Islands
    Posts
    2,247

    Fuckers doing the same thing they were blaming the northerners for in the past

    chuckster007 likes this.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    7,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi:
    Fuckers doing the same thing they were blaming the northerners for in the past
    BUT its ok they are special, they are not mainlanders
    GentleGeorge and BritishRose like this.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Beautiful Britain
    Posts
    2,089

    Yes, it does feel a lot more than is stated. I'm coming across them all over the place.


    3 Hongkongers doing invigilating at a school I do occasional work at. I do love their excitement when you say 'I lived in Hong Kong'

    One of them drove a high end new Mercedes 4 x 4 and sends her kids to Rugby School. While working in a £10 an hour part time occasional job!

    We also had 10 12 year old Hong Kongers doing a Cantonese GCSE exam. I really felt like I was back in a HK school.

    shri, jimbo_jones, vmlinuz and 1 others like this.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong, from UK
    Posts
    3,838

    Taken in Leeds city market a couple of weeks ago - I popped in to say hi to the guy:
    Name:  PXL_20230503_110707671.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  3.16 MB

    TheBrit likes this.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    119

    I agreed, there are loads in London - great to see them, but what a loss of young, educated wealthy people for Hong Kong

    I have also noticed that lots of them are vocally anti-CCP. Given that most people here don't care about China, and loud voices tend to get heard, I wonder will that shape UK policy towards China in the future?

    When I was growing up in Ireland the only voices about the conflict in Palestine were the families of Irish soldiers murdered in Lebanon by Israeli proxies. That certainly shaped policy, and Ireland is quite tough on Israeli human rights abuses. Ireland is not a giant on the world stage, but I'm sure its an irritant to have the Irish speaking up for the Palestinians.

    Similarly, I wonder will future China have to deal with entrenched political opinion in UK shaped by HK arrivals and their descendants, even if they move away from Xi's approach?

    TheBrit likes this.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,349
    Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    Taken in Leeds city market a couple of weeks ago - I popped in to say hi to the guy:
    Name:  PXL_20230503_110707671.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  3.16 MB
    was the tea good?
    GentleGeorge likes this.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3,344
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    was the tea good?
    Name:  Screenshot_20230528-092603__01.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  54.7 KB

    Probably not one for the purists
    ByeByeEngland likes this.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrib:
    I agreed, there are loads in London - great to see them, but what a loss of young, educated wealthy people for Hong Kong

    I have also noticed that lots of them are vocally anti-CCP. Given that most people here don't care about China, and loud voices tend to get heard, I wonder will that shape UK policy towards China in the future?

    When I was growing up in Ireland the only voices about the conflict in Palestine were the families of Irish soldiers murdered in Lebanon by Israeli proxies. That certainly shaped policy, and Ireland is quite tough on Israeli human rights abuses. Ireland is not a giant on the world stage, but I'm sure its an irritant to have the Irish speaking up for the Palestinians.

    Similarly, I wonder will future China have to deal with entrenched political opinion in UK shaped by HK arrivals and their descendants, even if they move away from Xi's approach?
    A few key differences are that Palestinians do not have sovereignty. China does. Palestinian population and market size is far lower than China's. Therefore, dealing with China and your local population's ability to form your China policy will be different when you compare with Palestine.