Changing decision not leave HK after notifying Tax/Immigration

Changing decision not leave HK after notifying Tax/Immigration

Hi everyone,

When you decide to quit your job and leave HK, I understand that both yourself and your company will need to inform IRD no later than 1 month before the expected date of departure to clear all tax matters.

I would like to know what would happen if you change your decision not to leave HK and remain in HK without a job. Can you just notify IRD and your ex employer? Would you still need to clear your tax and would this affect your visa?

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ParisInHK:
    Hi everyone,

When you decide to quit your job and leave HK, I understand that both yourself and your company will need to inform IRD no later than 1 month before the expected date of departure to clear all tax matters.

I would like to know what would happen if you change your decision not to leave HK and remain in HK without a job. Can you just notify IRD and your ex employer? Would you still need to clear your tax and would this affect your visa?

Thanks everyone.
    Happened to me. I got laid off and then decided to stay here after all.
    Frankly there is no downside to paying your taxes now. I actually preferred it because a) it allows you to be flexible. If you want to leave you just leave and b) you don't have to make payments for next year (when you have no clue if/what income you'd have)

So I cleared my taxes and stayed on.

Thanks newhkpr.

Did you have to notify anyone that you stayed?

As I’m not PR yet, do you know if this will affect the visa and the possible PR application (i.e. will it create a disruption of your 7 year stay in HK)?

A GEP visa is good until its expiry date, even if you leave the job. But obviously once that visa expires you need some other suitable visa to stay in HK, otherwise you need to leave, re-enter as a tourist and your 7 year residence is broken.