Like Tree9Likes

leaving Hongkong with debt 24 years ago

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

one nationality grossly over-represented in the total number of in debt expats (the vast majority of whom will not be eligible for PR after living & working here for 7 years)
    But then domestic helpers are not considered residents, so they don't factor into the calculations here. The people they borrow money from have the ways and means outside "due process" to collect the funds.

There always seems to be an "aunty" or "cousin" who they've co-signed for and who has left for greener pastures or gone back home for some reason or the other. Cant blame them entirely.. their families put a lot of pressure on them to send funds back home.

About the issue brought up by gutsglory - the cops are not involved. The case is still a civil matter and the collection is still a civil issue. The cops need to prove intent to commit a crime if they're going to get involved. They are rarely bothered.... (there are atleast two high profile situations here on GeoExpat / GeoBaby where two separate businesses have been taking money and not delivering promised goods.

The groups of people involved have had a very difficult time getting the police involved as it is extremely difficult to prove that someone fully intended not to repay funds before they left.

In your case, lets hope the bank / collection agency is not as aggressive as some of the Filipino / Indonesian "money lenders" and they don't follow you back home.
    gutsglory likes this.

thank u shri for your long information. i will keep posting an update if i get a police clearance in hong kong.

I left UK with a 'bad debt' of £34.54p (wasn't intentional). Anyway, throughout the years, they've sent me countless warning letters, which overtime became slightly "threatening" and eventually ended up with various debt collection agencies.

At some point they offered to halve the debt owed if I were to make a prompt payment!

Anyhow, I am waiting until the day that the cost of paper, ink, envelopes and postage stamps used, outweighs the £34.54p owed and then maybe, just maybe, I'll pay half...

Last edited by iRake; 23-04-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Assuming you incurred the debt, why don't you just pay it off in full?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

I need some information on a similar situation my father had a export sole propreitorship company in HKg 30 years back due to his illness and losses in stock market he left hongkong and i was running his business for him all bank accoounts payments, everything for a period of six months since he health worsened i too left hongkong without closing the business , i had issue a cheque of HkD 14,000/- which was not honoured and some payments to the factories also not paid but no cheque was issued to them. later we had a staff member of 3 people who informed the police and also claimed that they had not received their salaries for 5 months which was a lie as their payments were uptodate and rent of the office too had been paid maybe due for one or two months which must have got adjusted with the security deposit we had given to the landlords. My father expired and now after 29 and half years i want to visit Hongkong will i have any problems with the immigration or police , will this be in the records of the customs, or is this considered as a criminal offence please guide me on this thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep P K:
    after 29 and half years i want to visit Hongkong will i have any problems with the immigration or police , will this be in the records of the customs, or is this considered as a criminal offence please guide me on this thanks for your help
    You'll be fine
    shri likes this.

You will not have any problem visiting Hong Kong

is it possible for someone to help me out on a little longer reply with logics on what ground will i be fine or not have problem visiting Hong Kong is it because it has been a very long time since i left hongkong or is it because the company was in my dads name even though i was just running it , a few extra words will be really appreciated. thanks

The debt your father owed was a civil debt. It means people have to sue you in the court to claim what is owed to them. It is not criminal. So it does not concern police or immigration. So please do not worry. Come and visit Hong Kong.

Thanks for your reply its a great comfort., but is there any possibility those days someone might have sued me in court and since i was not there not aware about this .,will this in anyway be a problem thanks again

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast