Financial advise for moving back to US

Financial advise for moving back to US

I plan to move back to the States the end of this year. Struggling to decide whether I should leave my assets here or liquidate all and take back to US. I bought a flat last year on HK Island East, a 101 investment account two years ago, and a bank account. From the investment point of view, what would you do? I don't need this money, and have no issue leaving them behind. As for the flat, I can afford paying the mortgage or simply rent out to cover the mortgage. Any suggestion? Many thanks.

In what way does where you are living affect the investment decision? Either they are good investments to keep or they're not. I don't see why you location makes any difference. As a Yank you're taxed on it all anyway.

Where you live affects in which currency you will pay for your living expense. If you intend to leave HK permanently, but hold a substantial HKD asset, you are taking some currency risk. Of course HKD is pegged to USD now, but who knows what would happen when you need to liquidate.

Not sure what a "101 investment account" is, please elaborate. If you mean a simple share dealing account you should be able to access HK stocks which you can't necessarily get through a US account. Also the broker here might want to run away when you have a US address for fear of the SEC as well as the IRS.

For the flat, was it your primary residence? There may be some benefits or complications here.

It also depends on what your view of the HK property market.

Also remember that managing the property with a 12hour time difference and agency fees may make maintaining the property a lot more expensive and challenging than when you live here. Property yields here are also very low compared to other property markets.