Velodromes in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Velodromes in HK

Hi all,

I recently moved to HK and have been searching everywhere for a velodrome to ride my fixed gear on. Googling only yields results for a place that was scheduled to be demolished, or scheduled to be built in/around Tseung Kwan O. I'm wondering if anyone here is into track cycling enough to know if/where the Velo's are here. Also, if you know about track bike rentals that would be great, as mine is still in a crate moving slowly across the Pacific

thanks

There is an outdoor velodrome next to Fo Tan station in the New Territories. I'm not sure how access works as it's run by the government and I've never seen any obvious walk-in cyclists- you could just turn up and ask, or try contact the 'official' HK cycling organisations.

Renting track bikes? That isn't going to happen out here- cycling in general is a hugely underdeveloped sport in HK, let alone track cycling. I don't even think you can hire road bikes out here.

JGL - There are a couple of shops renting out road bikes in HK in the new territories. There is one near Tai Wai, and another one near Plover Cove reservoir.

There are a number of fixed gear riders around in HK, I noticed quite a few at a critical mass gathering a few months ago. There is also a shop in central and I suggest looking here for more info.

Flwrider
    HK Fixed Ltd

What was the critical mass event like?

Hmm... would HK Fixed wouldn't be run by the guy that had a 'lifestyle' fixie shop set up just off Gough Street a while back, that was never open?

Anyway, I'll wander over and check it out sometime in the hopes that it's something new. Fixed gear seems to be even more of a lame cycling fashion statement in HK than it is in other countries.

It is the "lifestyle" shop you mention. At least on the website you can phone him up first.

The event I went to was part of the biennale rather than their normal mass rides.

Big turnout? Was it 'political' like the US ones, or was it just a bunch of people having fun?

More fun than rabid politicos, they still want to make a point though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

The velodrome in Fo Tan is part of the sports institute (unless there is more than one ... which seems unlikely).

I think they use it as extra parking, never seen anyone riding there. It might be worth just turning up and letting yourself in... if you ask them I would strongly guess at No being the answer.

Thanks. There's not a huge fixed scene where I'm from in the states either...so I'm used to be the sort of underdog. I just want to find a place to ride that isn't HK island, cause I'm saying in Wan Chai. I'm pretty good, but riding without brakes around here would inevitably end up with me getting hit by a taxi, and I've already had enough of those in other cities (thanks NYC). Anyone up for a ride when my bike eventually shows up, it'll still be a while though

Interested to read about this as just moved here and my fixie should arrive pretty soon on a container (though I do have brakes).

Did you find a "scene" here at all. A friend in Shanghai says there is a fairly substantial one here but from some quick googling doesnt really seem to be too much going on...

Tom

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast