Gyms in Wan Chai?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gyms in Wan Chai?

Hello all, I have been looking for a decent gym in the Wan Chai area. I know the usual suspects of California Fitness, Physical Fitness, Pure Fitness, Fitness First, and Seasons Fitness, however with the exception of California I have yet to find one that is relatively close to my work in Wan Chai or an MTR stop away in CB (the ones in Admiralty seem a bit inconvenient to the MTR).

I’m not really interested in all the extras that most of the before mentioned clubs push as must needs for total fitness; all I want is an old fashioned gym with some decently kept and clean machines and a good range of free weights and if possible a tanning bed.

So does anyone know a good gym with decent machines, free weights, and tanning beds in the Wan Chai area??

Depending onwhere you are in Wanchai...the Novotel at the Causeway Bay end is popular. The Guangdong Wharney, next to Mes Amis, is also good. Both have a pool but the Novotel one is a bit bigger but is rounded so neither good for doing lengths but good for a stretch and a bit of vitamin B on the skin!
    A few months ago the Novotel was doing a deal whereby membership got you a free room and some other things thrown in.

any luck?

Islandeast, any luck so far in finding another gym besides California? I'm moving to that area shortly and was only able to find Cali upon my first and only inspection.

Avoid Californiia. The service and management sucks big time.

As I see that you're from the "Queen City" then I would assume that you would prefer using lbs as to kgs. California has everything in lbs, however, they are like rundown Gold's Gym (before their recent makovers). The other big ones that are somewhat close by are Pure Fitness in the IFC (very clean but everything is in kgs, machines are a little cramped, and overpriced) then in Admiralty at the Citibank Tower is Seasons Fitness (I'm not sure if they use lbs or kgs as I have only taken a virtual tour via their website) however, if you will be training after work then maybe you would prefer going agianst the flow of traffic and head to Causeway Bay...in the Excelsior Hotel is Fitness First (quite nice but again I have not found time to check it out first hand so not sure if they use lbs or kg)...and depending on where you live...in Tai Koo there is Physical which is quite nice, not very crowded and uses lbs. I'm sure you can find a local chinse/martial arts/boxing gym in Wan Chai, but they are more focused on martial arts/boxing/etc. then what I'm sure you would prefer from a more traditional western gym.

Fitness First - Quarry Bay Taikoo Place

Guys,

With in Tikoo Place there is a split level Fintness First Club. signange is minimal but the club is fantastic and loads of equipment avoiding crowds. This is a very corporate environment, I believe one of Hong Kongs best facilities.

tucked away in the PCCW tower not too many people know about it. PM if you want to check it out.

Island East....a former 'charlottean'?? It's kind of crazy the number of people from Charlotte heading to HK. I've seen 4-5 on this board alone!

Against my better judgement (after reading other posts) probably going to give California Gym a try simply because it's the closest to my temporary apartment in Wan Chai. I'm arriving in HK on the 22nd so i'll post a quick review after I get settled and motivated.

for anyone interested.....California Gym is like heading to a Used Car lot in the US. You get a greasy disgusting salemen trying to push you an overpriced pile of crap. This is the first time i've ever had to haggle over a gym membership. After telling the salesman i was leaving he brought the manager over who gave me the 'special deal for first time visitors' which wasn't much better.
    When taking a tour of the gym i was amazed because there were more 'personal trainers' then people actually working out. Equipment didn't see too bad, pretty standard but the salesman kept pushing the personal trainer on me.

I'm working in Central and living in Wan Chai (temporarily)....any other suggestions for gyms somewhere in between that won't rip me off or cost an arm and a leg??

What is it you want from a gym? You started the thread saying you knew about California etc, then some suggestions have been made, now you say you've been to California, after everyone warned you against it, and compared it to a used car lot in the US (I'd love to know more about that analogy).
    The first post was a month and a half ago- just join somewhere and close your eyes and think of that perfect gym you would be able to go to had you not left home.

Used Car lots analogy;
    In the U.S. there is usally an overweight, unkept, ugly, balding man with a chicken leg hanging from his lower lip trying to sell you a lemon (a car that will drive off the lot then immediately break down).
    In Hong Kong (California Gym), there was a greasey, overweight, loud mouth showing me a gym with poor service and pushy gimmicks.

I usually give people/places the benefit of the doubt, so when I read Cali was a real $hithole I figured it wouldn't hurt to at least be open minded and try it. Poor decision on my part and thought I'd just pass along my dissatisfaction as further evidence to anyone else who may read this forum.

I'm looking for a gym that doesn't have pushy salesman hitting you up every two minutes, a gym where the music is blasting at deafening levels, a gym that's convenient to my apartment, a gym where the beautiful babes stare at me longing to be with me and my gorgeous biceps (ok, the last one's a little bit of a stretch )

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast