Like Tree4Likes

Where to buy Liquid Egg Whites?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    The only countries in which I have seen cartons of egg whites are the US and Canada. I wrote the idea off as a symptomatic of bloody stupid north american consumer culture where marketers fill every outlandish niche with product.
    Ah yes, Egg white omelettes. totally disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkDifferent:

...oh yeah, and LOL @ "loads of money"
    Let's do the maths.

Assuming we want 40g per day. 6 packs a week at HK$45 equals HK$14040.

4 eggs a day (just whites) at HK$1 each equals HK$1456.

A saving of HK$12,584. For most people in Hong Kong that is "loads of money".

Your choice of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeskola:
    the eggs / cholesterol thing is a myth
    it is not a myth. Egg yolkes are high in cholesterole. Fact.
    The recommened daily dosage is not more than 3 egg yolkes. You suggest me to triple that?

I take whey protein after workout. For breakfast egg whites is the best. at least for me and, by the way, a lot of professional bodybuilders.
    Last edited by ThinkDifferent; 05-07-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Let's do the maths.

Assuming we want 40g per day. 6 packs a week at HK$45 equals HK$14040.

say what? are you counting my YEARLY spending on egg whites? LOL ok

...wait, also why are you counting 4 eggs? 4 eggs = 24g of protein as opposed to 40g. and these would be WHOLE eggs. egg white alone contains only about 3-4g of protein.

redo your math.
    Last edited by ThinkDifferent; 05-07-2010 at 03:32 PM.

not sure about you, but I'd prefer paying 45$ for 50g of high quality egg protein then spending time in kitchen separating egg whites from egg yolkes, and then throwing the latter away...

...oh yeah, and LOL @ "loads of money"
    Hey, I'm not here to judge, to each his own.
    As far as I know, whole eggs contain around 6.5g of protein.
    Eggwhite only is around 3.5g of protein.
    Others have pointed out to you that other sources of protein are better overall - but for sake of argument, we'll deal with egg whites.

Even if you did seperate it and threw away the yolk, you would only need about a dozen to get your 50grams of protein. You can get a dozen eggs today in most markets for around 1/3 of the $45 you are paying. If you use the yolks for some other reason, you'll save even more. All for a few minutes of work.

As for your last comment "LOL @ lots of money" - yes, $45 is a lot of money for a lot of people. The fact that you are lucky enough to be able to afford to throw it away so easily (and regularly) doesnt give you the right to be an ass about it. Your LOL is just not funny.

HC
    Last edited by HowardCoombs; 05-07-2010 at 03:39 PM.
    jimbo likes this.

it is not a myth. Egg yolkes are high in cholesterole. Fact.
    The recommened dauily dosage is not more than 3 egg yolkes. You suggest me to triple that?

I take whey protein after workout. For breakfast egg whites is the best. at least for me and, by the way, a lot of professional bodybuilders.
    Recommended by who?

You might have missed this last year

BBC NEWS | Health | Regular eggs 'no harm to health'

A University of Surrey team said their work suggested most people could eat as many eggs as they wanted without damaging their health.

The researchers, who analysed several studies of egg nutrition, said the idea that eating more than three eggs a week was bad for you was still widespread.

But they said that was a misconception based on out-of-date evidence.
    Don't take my word for it - do your own research

He said: "The ingrained misconception linking egg consumption to high blood cholesterol and heart disease must be corrected.

"The amount of saturated fat in our diet exerts an effect on blood cholesterol that is several times greater than the relatively small amounts of dietary cholesterol.

"The UK public do not need to be limiting the number of eggs they eat - indeed they can be encouraged to include them in a healthy diet as they are one of nature's most nutritionally dense foods."
    Last edited by Jeskola; 05-07-2010 at 03:31 PM.

say what?
    If the packs are 50g (you said HK$45 for 50g) and you want 40g per day then you need 6 packs a week correct?

6 x 52 x 45 = HK$14,040. Where did I go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Egg, white, raw, fresh: 100g = 10.90g of protein

Egg, yolk, raw, fresh: 100g = 15.86g of protein
    Claire, some years back I'd read somewhere that yolk has lot of cholestrol, and one should avoid eating yolk. How true is that?

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Claire, some years back I'd read somewhere that yolk has lot of cholestrol, and one should avoid eating yolk. How true is that?
    Hey, read the links i posted up above and on the previous page.
    Yes they do but it's a MISCONCEPTION (probably passed on from generation to generation at home) that it's bad for you based on decades old science and studies from the 60's and 70's. Though many people still believe it.

Apita at Taikoo Cityplaza got them. Can't remember the brand although I buy them sometimes. Import for sure. Good quality.