where can i learn kung fu *urgent*

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Kung fu in 3 months

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    euhhh.. you do not learn Kung Fu over the summmer. To reach a reasonable level will take you at least (with regular pratice) 5 years.
    I think you see a lot of this instant black belt stuff in US karate. We called them "belt factories". Just read in our paper the other day about a brown belt champion who is 6 years old. Probably started with all that kicking in the womb. Also read where they gave a black belt to someone in a wheel chair (who hadn't started until they were in said wheel chair); they had no use of the legs and limited upper body mobility. I'm all for exercise regardless of physical condition and I am sure it was helping this person develop, but a black belt?

wing chun

I'm studying kung fu (wing chun) at a school in Wan Chai that desperately needs more students. At the moment I'm learning one-on-one for $500/month, twice a week, and my sifu is fantastic.

Drop me a line if you need details.

what an educated response! so you've taken every single chinese and japanese martial art to come to this conclusion?

Quote Originally Posted by thetokyoproject:
    also, chinese martial arts are more aesthetic but i find japanese martial arts more effective and efficient.

tae kwon do would be a good intermediate!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo:
    what an educated response! so you've taken every single chinese and japanese martial art to come to this conclusion?
    nah but having studied chinese and japanese martial arts and read numerous books on the subject matter, i believe my response is very valid and i'm sure if you spoke to a very well-versed martial artist, then they'd have to agree to some extent.

no one has ever studied EVERY single martial arts, but for someone like bruce lee, i would say is very well informed in the matter of MA even though he hasn;t studied EVERY single martial arts.

i believe my response is very valid and i'm sure if you spoke to a very well-versed martial artist, then they'd have to agree to some extent.

no one has ever studied EVERY single martial arts, but for someone like bruce lee, i would say is very well informed in the matter of MA even though he hasn;t studied EVERY single martial arts.
    Japanese martial arts have chinese roots and chinese martial arts have indian roots

All of the japanese martial arts techniques can be found in the chinese martial arts structure, there are 36 disciplines in shaolin. the japanese martial arts are merely some basic, more easily learned techiques that were taken taken from Kung Fu, as with Jee Kun Do.

In 3 months, it may be better to learn from a japanese martial arts but for chinese, it would be take like 3 years. very few has the committment to learn a chinese kung fu these days. so in that sense, martial arts that teaches basic tecniques would be more "useful" (ie muay thai).

FYI, jet li is from shaolin. "wushu" is not a martial arts, it literally means the "fighting arts". in this sense, everyone who learns a martial art has studied wushu

Quote Originally Posted by glue:
    Japanese martial arts have chinese roots and chinese martial arts have indian roots
    agreed.

All of the japanese martial arts techniques can be found in the chinese martial arts structure,
    Hmm disagree 'not ALL techniques' since the the foundation of most jap MA were from chin MA but the japs developed their own stuff too

there are 36 disciplines in shaolin.
    LMFAO....you been watching too many hk movies mate...what are disciplines - do you mean forms or 'kata' or moves? jokes mate....

and even if there were "36" what has this to do with what we are discussing...we're comparing the techniques/mode of learning - not number of techniques.

the japanese martial arts are merely some basic, more easily learned techiques that were taken taken from Kung Fu, as with Jee Kun Do.
    err...you;ve said that already about japanese MA having their foundation in chin MA....why repeat and please enlighten us on your point.

jeet kune do is a 'philosophy' rather than martial art - but since this is a grey area i guess it can cross both boundaries - and since bruce lee who first coined this said that it's undescribable and has it's roots in many countries' MA, you are wrong in saying that it's just a simplified form of ch1nky MA.

FYI, jet li is from shaolin. "wushu" is not a martial arts, it literally means the "fighting arts". in this sense, everyone who learns a martial art has studied wushu
    again the words wu shu - is grey area - some in the MA world would consider it to be a MA - though - primirily it's meant to be an exhibition/competition sport like modern day judo rather than a fighting art.

everyone who learns martial arts has studied wu shu - complete bollox as wu shu has it's defined forms - and nowadays modern MA includes not just East Asian styles since boxing, grappling and capeiora can be considered as MA too.

think you;ve been to too many McDojo's dude!

See, if you lived in the US, you wouldn't need URGENT lessons in the martial arts....you could just walk into a WalMart and buy a gun. Of course there is a 5 day wait for a handgun....

agreed.
    Hmm disagree 'not ALL techniques' since the the foundation of most jap MA were from chin MA but the japs developed their own stuff too
    Of the karate, judo, akido, kendo forms I have studied. They all can be found in the Chinese styles. Philosophy of Jee Kun Do, I agree, is independent. It's just like many other schools in Chinese Kung Fu (ie. Pak Mei, Wing Chun, Chui Lei Fok), all philosophy / styles from a practitioner who have combined what they learn into a form. They are exactly that, forms and techniques they have learned. This can be seen in many of the southern Kung Fu styles.
    LMFAO....you been watching too many hk movies mate...what are disciplines - do you mean forms or 'kata' or moves? jokes mate....

and even if there were "36" what has this to do with what we are discussing...we're comparing the techniques/mode of learning - not number of techniques.
    Perhaps some research is in order in Mr toykoproject's critique. a discipline is not a form but a style. There are 36 diciplines / styles (ie. Tiger, Crane, Monkey, prying mantis ...etc), they are all unique systems (not "kata" moves). Check your sources (or your movies, as you mentioned)
    Learning a martial arts is not just watching some competition and learning some forms, there's a lot of history

jeet kune do is a 'philosophy' rather than martial art - but since this is a grey area i guess it can cross both boundaries - and since bruce lee who first coined this said that it's undescribable and has it's roots in many countries' MA, you are wrong in saying that it's just a simplified form of ch1nky MA.
    the point is, since you didn't get it first time around, stated above.

again the words wu shu - is grey area - some in the MA world would consider it to be a MA - though - primirily it's meant to be an exhibition/competition sport like modern day judo rather than a fighting art.

everyone who learns martial arts has studied wu shu - complete bollox as wu shu has it's defined forms - and nowadays modern MA includes not just East Asian styles since boxing, grappling and capeiora can be considered as MA too.

think you;ve been to too many McDojo's dude!
    The definition of Wu Shu (in its original chinese characters) is "martial arts". Not a form, not an exibition but just plain Martial Arts. What you are referring to may be what you have seen watching on TV, the "martials arts competition", or "wushu competition", or "Karate competition". So please enlighten us with where this "bollox" is. Maybe it would help by looking it up at your local McDojo.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    See, if you lived in the US, you wouldn't need URGENT lessons in the martial arts....you could just walk into a WalMart and buy a gun. Of course there is a 5 day wait for a handgun....
    i couldn't agree more. real uses of martial arts is a thing of the past, there's no need and no real development in it anymore. it can merely be use as a hobby or a sport. a handgun does a much better job for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecoffee:
    i really want to learn kung fu over the summer but seems like there are no classes here..or its just really hard to find. can someone pls help me and any other kung fu students around this forum? am intereste dto know what style a beginner shouild start off with

thanks

p.s. am not interested in any other martial arts
    Although it's unlikely that anything can be done in a few months, I'll suggest a place in Sheung Wan.

It's old school which means there's limited english, and you got to do whatever the sifu says. His name is/was Ha Kwok Cheung. He died, but his sons and pupils still teaches.

They teach Yau Kung Mun, a southern style derived from pak mei. Most of the dragon dances you see on TV are done by him. If you go, burn a few incense to him for me.

The only other style I could recommend is Wing Chun, which you may be able to learn enough in a few month months to have some use. I'd be careful though, if you are kind of a big guy (long arms/legs), it's not the right style for you.

as i said before...wu shu is a 'literal meaning' of MA to chinese speaking martial artists - but to non chinese speakers wu shu would mean the modern/competetition style of a martial art itself much like judo is ju justu.

so if you spoke to a french savate practioner, i;m sure he wouldn;t say he has studied wu shu as the westerners would take the contemporary meaning over the literal one from chinese kanji.

so are there exactly 36 styles or disciplines in shaolin since i;ve never heard of all of these...perhaps you can enlighten me.

as for all techniques from japanese MA can be found in chinese martials arts - i'm sure many of the locks and throws in judo/jujustu were developed by the japanese themselves since i'm not aware that the chinese have such as extensive range or throws/locks - i know the chinese have ancient grappling arts but pretty sure these are in no realtion to the japanese ones!

Last edited by thetokyoproject; 06-08-2006 at 08:47 AM.