Like Tree1Likes

Trekking backpacks

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Well, they're neither cheap or readily available in HK...

Thanks everyone. Extremely valuable feedbacks. Now I think it is time for me to go to the field and see what I can get!!

By the way, how much should I expect to pay for a reasonable backpack?

i think you can find most in sports shops. brands like eastpak, outdoor, shayrer are pretty good and hardy.

Figure around USD100-150 for a 'reasonable' 60L pack (that's a bit of a guestimate).

If you go to Chamonix, keep in mind that you take 20% off the sticker price.

I think you can get something reasonable for under USD100 - not much under, around 80 or 90, if you choose carefully. It is important not to go for too cheap a brand though - look at things like the stitching, the quality of the material, the finishing of the tapes, is it waterproof, does it have a sensible arrangements of pockets?> (too many are just gimmicks, too few make organisation difficult). Basically though, it has to FIT to be effective, so don't buy something without your wife, because unless it has an adjustable frame you risk getting the wrong size.

To add to above, look for heavy duty zippers and design which allows for no material to get stuck in zippers when opening/closing. As suggested, really give it a good try in the shop. Load it up, walk up and down some stairs etc. I find this to be very important especially for people with a smaller frame and not much outdoor experience. The backpack makes all the difference between having a good time or misery with an ill fitting bag and sore shoulders and aching back.

Last edited by Char Siu King; 04-08-2010 at 02:43 PM.

I am currently looking for a smaller backpack. I went to several shop, and I found the best price (for my back pack) in Mongkok, close to fa yuen street.

You may also check Lafuma Outlet and Cotima Outlet in China Hong Kong City, as well the out door shops in silvercord - all shops in TST .