Swing dance and lindy hop

Closed Thread

Thumbs up Swing dance and lindy hop

Hello! I'm visiting HK for 3 weeks but moving here next year. I'm also an avid swing dancer. For all those who've always heard of or wanted to learn swing dancing/lindy hop but never got the chance, there is a once-in-a-year opportunity to learn from an overseas professional, an intensive 4-hour course next Friday at the Fringe Club! Come and learn how to dance and meet new people! I'm not getting paid for this, btw, or even an organiser. My own selfish interest in this is to see a swing dance community grow in HK so I have people to dance with. But take it from me, it's great fun (I've made more friends than in any other thing, it's enhanced my life!), the music is absolutely absorbing, and it's a fun way to keep fit.

http://fringeclubhongkong.com/englis.../workshops.asp

BEGINNERS SWING WORKSHOP

HK Swings
    Fri 22 Dec 2006
    Rehearsal Room
    7pm - 11pm

Non member: $300

HKSwings will be holding an intensive beginners' swing dance workshop on December 22 with international instructor Sinclair Ang. Swing Dancing was the Hip Hop of the 1930s and it is now back in fashion. Come and learn this groovy and fun jazz partner dance at this intensive workshop, which will be suitable for absolute beginners who have never danced before. As Sinclair will be teaching his distinctive technique and approach to dance, people who already know how to dance will also learn something new.

Sinclair is a leading swing dance instructor in Singapore, and has been invited to teach at workshops across Europe, Australia and China. His classes are often fun and grounded in good technique - teaching partnership, connection, and the importance of music and fun in dancing. Sinclair trains and choreographs for several performance groups and has performed for the stage around the world. He has been featured in television commercials and documentaries on dance as well.

It will be an intensive workshop so we strongly recommend you attend the full 4 hours to get the most out of it. But don't worry, we'll have a break or two in between so you can take a breather, process and practice what is taught and ask questions!

For sign-up, please contact Karen [email protected] or 98687991. We look forward to seeing you there - it will be a lot of fun!

Lindy for life

Tomato you couldn't be more right I love swing dancing and got really excited when I saw there would be an event in Hong Kong. Unfortunately I don't arrive in HK until the 24th but that shouldn't discourage anyone else from going and if you have any interest you should do it! I've been in Shanghai for the last few months and they've got a decent swing crowd going up there so it's about time HK got on it.
    I really would like to swing in HK though, do you know of any other swing (specifically lindy) events going on between Christmas and New Years?

Hey lemruracer - it's fantastic to meet another lindy hopper!! Karen is in charge of lindy events here and she'll be back today so we'll find out if there's any lindy in the coming week, you can email her to find out more. They have a regular scene but today's class will be the first time I'm out dancing in HK as they haven't had anything all December. You don't happen to be the dude who posted in Yehoodi about lindy between Xmas and New Years do you..? I haven't been up to Swinghai but I've met some people there and my good friend Z is a regular - have you met him?

Yippee! Another swing dancer in da house!

Hey! HK Swings has a new website:

http://hkswings.blogspot.com

Check it out for updates.

Hong Kong Swings which runs free swing dance lessons at Grappa's every Wednesday night, has a new website:

Hong Kong Swings - Home