Like Tree20Likes

Stand Up Paddle Boards

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

This may be a long shot if not a member but the VRC is worth a call.

Deep Water Bay

Used inflatable paddle board

Hey, old thread, new Question! Is there any site (other than this one) that has some used standup paddle boards for sale in Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by member01:
    Hey, old thread, new Question! Is there any site (other than this one) that has some used standup paddle boards for sale in Hong Kong?
    Probably something on Facebook (try Sai Kung second hand market groups, people always sell used kayaks or other water sport equipment there)

Possibly similar in the Gold Coast - I know several people have paddle boards there, not sure what they use to sell them.

I took my SUP to Repulse Bay over the weekend. Initially, we were paddling outside the swim area, but still inside the shark net. The lifeguard told us thats not allowed, and we need to go outside the shark net area. However, the shark net encloses the entire beach area, starting from the concrete piers on either end of the beach. Beyond the concrete piers, there is really no suitable launch area. We end up walking through the temple on the southside (Tin Hau & Kwun Yum Statue), and there is a small muddy area which we used to launch. We paddled to Middle Bay, the shark net also covers the entire beach area, which made landing difficult. So we end up turning around.

Not sure why the beaches are set up this way, making it hard to enjoy kayak, SUP, etc. Based on google satellite map, it seems South Bay beach and deep water bay beach leave a small section of the beach not enclosed by the shark net. I will try these next week.

HK_Katherine and Titus like this.

Titus, looking at the pics you posted before, seemed like you have gone SUP quite a few places around HK. Any suggestions on where to go and where to launch, etc. Thanks!

Titus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eastside:
    Titus, looking at the pics you posted before, seemed like you have gone SUP quite a few places around HK. Any suggestions on where to go and where to launch, etc. Thanks!
    I'll try to describe the ones I've tried the best I can here. Bear in mind I haven't been paddling for year and a half now (a 4 year old and 1 year old at home) so the areas or parking availability might have changed.

1. Sha Tau Kok. You can park your car at the gravel lot next to the temple by the water front. The temple has steps into the water that you can launch. But it's critical you check the tide table before setting off. I paddled here at night no problem but then I went back one time with an inflatable dinghy and an electric outboard, had a great day out exploring the little beaches came back and found out the little inlet in front of the temple is actually very shallow and at low tide there's only about an inch of water above the mud. I had to get out of the boat and push it back to shore with the outboard raised for 500 meters. And the mud was knee deep and kept on sucking down my Crocs, ended up doing it barefoot and cut the crap out of my feet LOL was not fun. It was either that or wait hours for tide to come back in.
    Name:  Sha Tau Kok.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  656.1 KB

Name:  Sha Tau Kok 2.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  605.1 KB

2. Tolo channel: I found 2 places to launch. One you can park by the parking lot near the Marine Police station and the other you drop off your board (pad lock it to a fence), go park your car at the Science Park (back 2 years ago while construction was still going on people parked their cars on the side streets and I never got a ticket) and go back to get your board to launch from one of the piers at Science Park. The little island in the middle of Tolo Channel was nice, a patch with nice sand, good place to have a quiet picnic. And you can also paddle into Shatin or Tai Po and explore the storm drainage waterways. I went into Shatin at night on my board and mounted one of those underwater LED lights; fishes were literally flopping onto my board! Stunk things up but thought that was interesting if you're the fishing type LOL

Name:  Tolo.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  662.7 KB
    Name:  Tolo 2.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  695.8 KB

Name:  Tolo 3.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  496.8 KB

Name:  Tolo 4.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  778.6 KB
    chuckster007 and eastside like this.

3. Tai Mong Tsai: You have to go there VERY early in the morning to the Tai Mong Tsai pier car park. There's no meter so you can park as long as you like. The annoying thing is car dealers use it as their free parking lot (like the Hebe Haven parking lot), my youthful rage always want to chuck a rock through their window when I can't find parking but 10 of them with "$50k, $80k" price signs on the windows. Anyway, from here you can launch from the pier and explore the whole Sai Kung area. If you're a strong paddler you can even go around the peninsula and explore Long Ke (but seriously, do so only if you're experienced).

Name:  Tai Mong Tsai 1.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  694.0 KB

Name:  Tai Mong Tsai 2.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  689.4 KB

4. South Beach: as you mentioned there is a good gap between the cliff and the shark net for people to launch boards from. I liked this one the most, Round Island beach has beautiful white sand and crystal clear water the times I visited. Only thing is parking... the ones at the beach are metered and I got ticket once for staying beyond the max 2 hours. Have thought about using my motorcycle to carry my inflatable board since the motorcycle parking there is free and unlimited.

Name:  South Bay.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  582.3 KB

chuckster007 and eastside like this.

I like to explore Google map satellite view to find interesting places to launch from haha =)

Kwun Tong pier at the new waterfront park next to the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal would also be interesting but there's a lot of boat traffic

eastside likes this.

Awesome, Titus. Thanks for the info. I don't drive, so I will just cab to all the abovementioned places. Will try South Beach next weekend, after the T1 passes.

A friend said he uses the concrete piers on either side of repulse bay for launch. But I guess depending on the tide, not sure how far the piers/steps are from the water.

And when you go up the Shatin in Shin Mun River, is there a place to land to grab a meal or something?

Last edited by eastside; 06-06-2018 at 11:22 AM.