Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BigCatMjau

Thai Boxing - is it for me?

Closed Thread

Question Thai Boxing - is it for me?

Hi - it is high time to get fit - I guess everyone talks about this whilst stuffing themselves over christmas.

I feel myself drawn to Thai boxing - a good mix of getting the aggression out and fitness. What I really want to know though is can I safely do it? I have some back problems from time to time - not crippling - sciatica from a disk bulging. Right now it is fine - most of the time it is fine. Just wondering is there any way I can do Thai boxing for fitness, upper body strength, tightening my tummy muscles..........

Any advice?

Yes, for sure...

I go to a Studio called MTS, Muay Thai Studio Hong Kong between Wan Chai & CWB... its a great gym where you will get fit for sure, but also a relaxed enviroment "in your own pace" ... PM if you want to know more about the place, plenty of places in HKG all depending on where you live want to go, budget etc

But its pretty much what you are saying, its good for getting Stress & frustration out and also good fitness, come down and give it a go next week, as easy as that!

Been going at for several years in Sweden, US & here and far from a pro fighter (and dont aim for it either), but are doing it just for the reasons you described above...

Cheers
    Emil

Shabby likes this.

Any one tried "swish"? Shabby I'm in same boat a you. Need to get my butt in gear!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Svish

Ive tried out Swish a few times before joining MTS, good gym and all, just not my cup of tea... a bit larger classes, tight spaces & commercial feeling... - But give it a go for your own opinion!

The thing that is good with MTS is that the classes are semi small with 5-6-7 people usually, and there is like 4-5 coaches always hanging around to support and make sure you do it properly... there is also plenty of ladies that is working out at the gym just for the fitness point of view, and then they almost get a personal traineer experience, not bad... and their fees are for sure the some of the best in HKG (i have compered...)

To give a minus to MTS from my point of view if that they arent focusing enough on technics for my taste, more on fitness... bad for me but good for someone else than

Brgds
    Emil

Last edited by BigCatMjau; 29-12-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: V = W

shabby,

if you have disc prob at lumbar area, it is not advisable to do MT due to frequent kicks n knees & clinching. Why not do boxing instead?

I went to Swish in CWB, it smelt of feet.
    The Ring - has language probs with the girl at front desk, looked rather small area.
    Will check MTS went it is open, always seem to be passing too early in the morning.