Like Tree9Likes

Downhill Mountain Biking Hong Kong

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Keep in mind you're not allowed to take your bike on the MTR. Annoying, but makes sense. I would think buses are the same. That's a big consideration if you live far from trails. That's why I always rent.
    According to local bicycle forums, the following MTR lines allow passengers to take their bikes on the condition that:
    1) If it is a folding bike, it should be folded before entering the pay area.
    2) For full size bike such RB and MTB, take off the front wheel before entering the pay area.
    3) Be considerate to public by using the 1st or the last carriage.

However, I cannot find the relevant MTR by-law about transporting bicycle. Pls let me know if you find it.

MTR Lines that allow bicycles(folded or front wheel off) onboard according to "local knowledge":
    1) Tung Chung line
    2) East Rail line
    3) Ma On Shan line

Other MTR lines: you may be fined or denied entry.

My own experience is that:
    - A folded 20" Dahon on the Island line during peak hour - OK
    - MTB with front wheel taken off on the Island line during non-peak hour - OK

IMHO, being low-key and considerate to other passengers is the key. As long as the bike is not intrusive, no one will complain as some passengers are very quick on the cell phone to file a complaint.

On the other hand, MTR workers do not want to hear any complaint as it means works to follow-up and reports to file.

Sometimes I hear stories that cyclists would roll the bikes onto the platform without folding or taking off the front wheel. I guess the cyclists are pushing the limit. Local bicycle lobby groups do meet with MTR & the Transportation Dept periodically and I hope one day we can bring bike on the MTR. I dont mind paying a "luggage fee" as the bike will take up a sizable floor space.

Anyway I do my part when carrying the bike on MTR by taking off the front wheel

I dont want MTR to ban bicycle or enforce the luggage by-law to the text.
    Char Siu King likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by banang:

MTR Lines that allow bicycles(folded or front wheel off) onboard according to "local knowledge":
    1) Tung Chung line
    2) East Rail line
    3) Ma On Shan line

Other MTR lines: you may be fined or denied entry.
    Great. Thanks. I thought it was all lines. Seems like it's only most of them. Although I find it irritating, I do understand the policy though - it's tough to please all interest groups in such a crowded city as HK.

Agree, it is very inconvenient but the "wisdom" I read from local bicycle forum is that putting the bike into a bicycle carrying bag would get you thru the gate without being stopped...I haven't try the bag trick yet.

My new chariot....

Specialized Demo 7

Anyone else into DH here?

A lot of people, me included, don't/didn't understand downhill. It is a sport distinct from cross country mountain biking and is about getting down a hill quickly and efficiently over difficult terrain without falling off!! It has a lot in common with skiing actually and it is no coincidence that many of the best DH trails are ski trails in the winter...

If you watch the first few seconds of this video you'll see one of the reasons why these bikes are unsuitable for normal riding! Just watch how much travel there is in those shocks!! You lose about 50% of your energy pedaling due to the front and rear suspension.....they are geared for speed and they are heavy.....

Last edited by INXS; 07-10-2013 at 10:21 AM.

i used to downhill on my single suspension trek at Killington in Vermont, USA. Threw it on the back of the gondola and killed myself on the way down. The first year I did it, I still had the V brakes with the pads, wow, my hands were killing me by the of the day. I didnt/couldnt obviously bound down the main DH/ski trails but tried to stick to the single track. I put disc brakes on the year after that which helped a lot. I dont think I could do it now without a REAL DH bike with front/back suspension and a tankish frame with massive tires. I love a good single track sesh tho. Used to get into racing a bit and was a NORBA member for a few summers. Would love to get a bike here and hit some trails but having just settled in to HK, and still being in a serviced apt for the next few weeks, will have to see how much room I've got in my apartment!

What a tool the mountain bike
    it replenishes the soul
    like some harmonic symphony
    or the greatest story told

ride to live, live to ride
    i always like to say
    i hope to keep on riding
    until my dying day

INXS and chris_yang22 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Bomber:
    That's the flattest downhill I've ever seen... an XC bike could handle that easily...

BTW there are locking forks and rear suspension for uphill riding.... but who wants to ride a 50lb bike uphill?
    POV cameras always make terrain look flat. Tai Mo Shan is quite steep in parts, but it lacks the drops and jumps that mandate serious suspension.

As a result, it's all ridable on a hardtail, simply a lot more fun and faster with lots of suspension.

BTW, there's no such thing as suspension lockout on downhill bikes.
    INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Bomber:
    My original AC1 is up for grabs.... the bike, gear, tools, helment, pads... I'll consider any interesting trades.

Bike needs a bit of inexpensive work and then it's ready to fly
    Whats the frame size? I'm about 1.93m...

Thanks dude. Id want it for more XC than anything else, and possibly have a couple sets of tires as I would expect some roadie riding as well. If I do pick something up here it'll probably be a hardtail. My most favorite bike ever was a Bridgestone MB5 believe it or not. Thing cruised. I might pick up a 29er though next!

Hi, old thread I know, but is there a small group of westerners that gets together to ride DH or Enduro type rides? I'm picking up my new bike next week and wouldn't mind some riding partners. I'm getting a Freeride/Enduro on 27.5 tires so I plan to do some up pedaling, in addition to Down.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast