Like Tree9Likes

Downhill Mountain Biking Hong Kong

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider:
    Hi, old thread I know, but is there a small group of westerners that gets together to ride DH or Enduro type rides?
    I'm not sure you'll find many race-based groups here, assuming that's what you mean...

nice ride! only managed to watch 8 mins tho!

any GPS data you'd like to share?

I wouldnt mind getting an electrically assisted bike - i know there are legal issues but some of them arent that obvious when u look at them

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    I'm not sure you'll find many race-based groups here, assuming that's what you mean...
    Sorry, didn't mean it like that. I'm looking for people to ride with. INXS pm'd me a link of a group. Thanks for that, I hope to meet up and ride with everyone soon.

Hello,

I'm moving from Costa Rica to Hong Kong pretty soon because of work. I do alot of mountainbike here, mostly all-mountain/enduro (downhill background) and I can't imagine not being able to bike anymore. Because of that I've been researching about HK's mtb scene, and found this forum. Awesome stuff!!!!

I wanted to see if I could get connected with any of you for advise and even riding.

Since I was moving for a long term, I was wondering if I should bring everything (bike and gear) with me, or, sell it here and get something there. I am leaning more towards bringing everything with me. Any advise?

I also noticed a permit is needed to ride on the trails...is that so? I am going to have a 3 months long trip initially, and then come back for my family for at least 1 year. Should I bring my bike starting with this 3 months trip and be able to use it? I would certainly hope so, since I'll be far away from my family and it would be a great way to spend time.

Are there enough trails nearby the city so I can ride every weekend? I know there are some pretty epic ones too, but not necessarily close to the city. Anyways...need to make up my mind on whether I'll be able to keep on biking in HK...I think the answer is Yes, but researching with the locals or people like you is the right way to go.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

-Alejandro

Compared to what the Chicomms lug around, a bike is nothing.

Kootenai: There are plenty of race-based riding groups in HK despite the forum PC-reflex. It's no big deal- most people just like to ride with those that they share similar backgrounds (language and culture) with. Also some that are race-agnostic and just concentrate on having a good time riding.

Check hkmba.org for the most comprehensive general riding info around. There's a forum there but it's a bit quiet of late. There's a Facebook group called mtb.hk where people seem to arrange rides on a regular basis.

Lonchera: What bike do you have and what sort of riding do you prefer? It'd probably make sense to bring out your existing bike, unless you are riding something weird like a singlespeed or CX If you're bringing an AM/DH bike you'll be fine. Though IMO a full-blown DH bike in HK limits you to a very small area that an AM/enduro bike would be fine on anyway. If you don't want to carry one over and have lots of patience, the secondhand market here is great as people regularly sell off barely ridden equipment when they realise that they don't like to ride and don't have storage space for bikes. Check 28bike.com

Don't sweat the permit thing. It's free to apply for and you should do it, but the AFCD doesn't really bother with it these days. It's more a nice thing to do to show on official stats that riding is a popular activity in HK that deserves dedicated trails.

Azure: "Chicomms"? You never cease to surprise with new lows of irrelevant, bigoted, ignorant and zero-information posts. Well done.

Last edited by jgl; 06-01-2014 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Kootenai: There are plenty of race-based riding groups in HK despite the forum PC-reflex. It's no big deal- most people just like to ride with those that they share similar backgrounds (language and culture) with.
    What have language and culture got to do with race? I would say that at least a third of the Brits that I come across here are not the same race as me. Only racists such as yourself fail to understand that these two things are not linked.

If you want to split hairs and go out of the way to create pointless argument, go ahead. Just don't bother trying to engage me in this one.

I might take you a little more seriously if you could tell me that you go out with any of the riding groups.
    Last edited by jgl; 06-01-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    [...]
    Azure: "Chicomms"? You never cease to surprise with new lows of irrelevant, bigoted, ignorant and zero-information posts. Well done.
    It's legit to say that, not foul language. You ever saw what them Chicomms lug around especially on the East Rail but also elsewhere? They think the MTR is their personal freight train and normal passengers should make way.

Wow, say the "w" word once and it opens a can of worms.... I only said it because this tends to be a westerner forum, and as such, I was addressing them. I don't give a flying #@$! who I ride with.

Lighten up Francis. Can we get back to the riding?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast