Physical Fitness - how do I get my money back?

Closed Thread

Physical Fitness - how do I get my money back?

I signed up for physical fitness 2 years ago for a 12+2 months plan. It was paid on autopsy credit card monthly. I cancelled the membership end of 2009 at the gym. Then I totally forgot to check my credit card statement. Until a few days ago I found that I had been charged on the credit card 350 per month. I complained to physical, but they refuse to refund. I could not find the termination contract now. How do I get my money back? any suggestions?

If you can't find any written termination of the contract then I reckon you're stuffed.

How can you fail to notice a charge on your credit card statement every month for a year?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:

How can you fail to notice a charge on your credit card statement every month for a year?
    Very easily. I never look at my credit card statements and pay them with direct debit. Not everyone has time to be diligent about everything!

To the OP - this is a tough one. Some options include:
    1. Going and complaining VERY LOUDLY for a long time in the doorway of the gym (this is based on the "if you can put off new members joining for long enough they might succumb". You might print a few leaflets explaining your case and hand them out or something (this is the nuisance approach!)

2. Can you find ANYTHING from physical? Even the original contract with the implicit end period might help.

3. Try a small claims claim? You can always affadavit that you cancelled then it's their word against yours - they might get told to pay half or they may settle? Worth a shot.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 13-04-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Indeed - but monitoring people taking your money should, I suggest, be pretty high on the list of priorities of things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Indeed - but monitoring people taking your money should, I suggest, be pretty high on the list of priorities of things to do.
    I guess it comes from years of living in a society with consumer protection laws which made businesses more focussed on getting it right in the first place, meaning errors were very rare. I realise that this is not the case in HK and is one of my gripes about the place.

Unfortunately, HK is horrible for consumer protection. This is a huge reason why I am vehemently against paying by credit card; albeit it may be a bit cheaper.

What you can do is find the consumer protection hotline in Hong Kong and file a complaint. They are very good at getting back to you and helping you resolve the situation. Although it might be a bit harder since you can't find the termination letter.

Thank you for your advices. I complained to physical, they said we will give your money back if you rejoin. I said fine. They said then, pay us 4000, we will give you 1 year membership. Then we give you 8 months free. The 8 month represent the money we refund. Do they think clients are idiots? These are very unethical businessmen. I feel them discusting.