Experience with Personal Trainers

Closed Thread

Experience with Personal Trainers

Hi, is anyone here using a Personal Trainer at their local gyms? Would like to know your thoughts and share experiences. Did you get the results you were looking for? Basically, since I moved to HK a few years ago from the UK, I joined up with California Fitness and didn't really see results that I wanted. A few months ago, it was time again to renew my membership and this time I was serious about getting results (esp. loosing some weight!). Met this Personal Trainer who works there and seemed genuine (not just trying to get a sale) .. so I thought I'd give it a go.. Have been training with her for 2 months now and honestly I am seeing results.. she's from the UK and works at California at The One...

Is it worth getting a personal trainer? In the past, when the other trainers (the local ones) would try and 'sell' me personal training it never seemed genuine.. it was obvious they just wanted the money and were less interested in my health... Any thoughts guys? Am I just lucky I found a good trainer or are they all the same?

I hope this is not one of these "I found a good PT send me a PM if you want to know who it is" threads.

There are many ways to skin a cat, and for some it's the personal trainer that makes it work. For weight loss, I would think that most of the hard work is done in the kitchen and not in the gym.

It's very easy to have good workouts and then eradicate all your efforts within a few minutes by having one of these fancy schmancy frappuchinos at your favorite Starbucks or a couple of beers at the evening. I've seen many people falling into this trap. They work hard and eat disciplined all week long, and then at the weekend they go backwards. Same thing week for week. Not even 8h in the gym with a $500/hour personal trainer is going to change that, and the PT is not the one to blame.

PTs are not all the same, but you definitely can't blame a PT or put him/her down ad being 'not good' if you don't lose weight. There is more to it than that. It's probably as frustrating for a good PT than it is for you if they see you doing great work in the gym but lacking on discipline during the other 23 hours of the day.

Also, don't forget that many people hire PT's for other reasons than losing weight. It's probably easier to judge a PT in those situations.

The following is OT (because you didn't ask for), but burning fat and seeing results is not just a single fight on one front. You'll need to cover all of them:

- Motivation (be sure what you want, stick to it every breathing minute)
    - Caloric deficit (burn more than you eat, eat less than what you burn)
    - Cardio exercise (to burn calories)
    - Resistance exercise (aka weights, but build/keep muscle while in calorie deficit)

Spend time every day to define how you implement these 4 elements into your daily lifestyle and make them a habit, and you will see results. A PT can't do that for you, you need to be the one to figure this out, with our without PT. Take control, losing weight is simply, but nobody said it's going to be easy.

Good luck!

Last edited by 100LL; 17-04-2011 at 09:30 AM.