Like Tree21Likes

Wild pigs/boars on the island

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that while searching for the actual highest point of Mount Parker this weekend, we found an area really mucked up by boars. It was after the station/end of the road, where you can just barely go on an over-grown path for about 20 mins to get to the top. Thankfully we didn't see any (we tried to make a lot of noise to scare any away), but the scuffed up trail/ground was definitely fresh! There were also some fresh broken branches.
    Any tips for what to do if ever coming across them unexpectedly?
    From the Gummit website:

What should I do if I see a wild pig?

If you see wild pigs in the wild, you should keep calm, stay away and leave them undisturbed.
    Do not approach any wild pigs, including piglets.
    You must not drive them away with any object as it is dangerous to provoke the wild pig.
    If necessary, you may hide behind a big tree or boulder and wait until the wild pigs leave before you proceed.

When a wild pig is posing immediate threats to life and property, you should report to the police by calling 999 for emergency assistance.
    Yeah! Hide behind a big rock!
    Elegiaque and Titus like this.

Run faster than your partner...

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Run faster than your partner...
    He runs far faster than me! And I'm bigger so I would entail a bigger feast....

He runs far faster than me! And I'm bigger so I would entail a bigger feast....
    Take a slower, fatter friend with you next time.
    gunsnroses, Elegiaque and Titus like this.

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that while searching for the actual highest point of Mount Parker this weekend, we found an area really mucked up by boars. It was after the station/end of the road, where you can just barely go on an over-grown path for about 20 mins to get to the top.
    You can also approach from the south all the way up from the trail junction west of Tai Tam Gap. It's marked as a dashed trail on theCountryside Map, and by coloured ribbons on the ground. This is the hardest time of year to be bushwhacking up there though - I'd leave it until the dry season (say just after Xmas).

There are boars all over HK Island - there are often traces of them on the trail below Dragon's Back, for example. On the only time I've encountered them close to they were keen to run in the opposite direction off into the bushes. For which we were grateful.

And while we're on the subject of wildlife, I got my first HK leech this morning while having an exciting time on the South Lantau Country Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    And while we're on the subject of wildlife, I got my first HK leech this morning while having an exciting time on the South Lantau Country Trail.

I trust it wasn't a "Stand By Me" (film) moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    You can also approach from the south all the way up from the trail junction west of Tai Tam Gap. It's marked as a dashed trail on theCountryside Map, and by coloured ribbons on the ground. This is the hardest time of year to be bushwhacking up there though - I'd leave it until the dry season (say just after Xmas).

There are boars all over HK Island - there are often traces of them on the trail below Dragon's Back, for example. On the only time I've encountered them close to they were keen to run in the opposite direction off into the bushes. For which we were grateful.

I was wondering how different it can really be in winter with regards to bushwhacking. It was pretty overgrown, and hence why it was pretty scary coming right across some boar area! We probably should have turned back immediately instead of going through it. Where does the trail start from the gap? We saw it going down from the top, but it's always almost impossible to find these dotted paths from down below.
    Nooo! Not leeches!

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that while searching for the actual highest point of Mount Parker this weekend, we found an area really mucked up by boars. It was after the station/end of the road, where you can just barely go on an over-grown path for about 20 mins to get to the top. Thankfully we didn't see any (we tried to make a lot of noise to scare any away), but the scuffed up trail/ground was definitely fresh! There were also some fresh broken branches.
    Any tips for what to do if ever coming across them unexpectedly?
    That would have been the expat hikers.......!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    That would have been the expat hikers.......!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app
    I don't understand... do you mean only expats would go bushwhacking for the top of a peak or only expats are stupid enough to go tramping around where there might be boars?
    Titus likes this.

I don't understand... do you mean only expats would go bushwhacking for the top of a peak or only expats are stupid enough to go tramping around where there might be boars?
    Plenty of locals in our hiking group go bushwhacking.
    Titus likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast