Like Tree21Likes

Wild pigs/boars on the island

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I was wondering how different it can really be in winter with regards to bushwhacking.
    Its cooler so its easier to wear protective clothing. Its also drier so you you can can get better footing. I've been wanting to go bushwhacking for a couple of weeks now but the rains (and the soft ground) has kept me back.
    Where does the trail start from the gap? We saw it going down from the top, but it's always almost impossible to find these dotted paths from down below.
    Use a GPS or smartphone + an app like Galileo to take a peek at maps from Openstreetmap. All manner of small trails are on there; its not 100% complete, but its close.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Its cooler so its easier to wear protective clothing. Its also drier so you you can can get better footing. I've been wanting to go bushwhacking for a couple of weeks now but the rains (and the soft ground) has kept me back.Use a GPS or smartphone + an app like Galileo to take a peek at maps from Openstreetmap. All manner of small trails are on there; its not 100% complete, but its close.
    Yes, I got a bad grass cut and hate the slippery bits that you can't see below the grass. We have the country trail map.... just can't see the dotted paths when there.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    We have the country trail map.... just can't see the dotted paths when there.
    Paper maps can be useless when dealing with dotted maps and ribbon trails. Sometimes the path on the map wont exist and sometimes its missing completely.

Here is what the area you were in look like:
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=22...om=15&layers=M

Compare that to your papermap and you'll see a large amount of discrepancy. Openstreetmap contains routes that real people have walked; the papermaps (especially dotted trails) are iffy.

The Mt Parker bushwhack from the south is pretty much as marked on the Countryside map though. Go to the big 6-way path junction due west of the Tai Tam Gap label. Follow the solid orange path (signposted towards Quarry Gap / Tai Fung Au) for about 30-50m until you see the small trail to a big electricity pylon just a few metres off the path to your right. Go up the small trail to the pylon. You can see the start of the ribbon trail on the opposite side of the pylon. It's fairly straightforward to follow. The junction just short of the 532m trig point is also obvious on the ground, with ribbons going off in two directions. Obviously you go right to get to the trig point, then carry on down and up to emerge on the concrete path adjacent to the radar station.

I was going to upload a little video of my leech being lively (by leech standards) here, but I find I can only link videos from things like Youtube, not upload them... :-(

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Paper maps can be useless when dealing with dotted maps and ribbon trails. Sometimes the path on the map wont exist and sometimes its missing completely.

Here is what the area you were in look like:
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=22...om=15&layers=M

Compare that to your papermap and you'll see a large amount of discrepancy. Openstreetmap contains routes that real people have walked; the papermaps (especially dotted trails) are iffy.
    Will have to look into them some more. (Or pass on that information to the GPS geek...)

Shame it was a cute leech!

Original Post Deleted
    Just the video.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4